Purraise
Here is cat ancestry from Wisdom:
Western
74% American Domestic Cat
12% European Domestic Cat
Persian
14% Scottish Fold

But he is homozygous for cs 2,
Colorpoint (Discovered in the Siamese) TYR cs 2 Siamese colorpoint pattern likely

And he couldn't look more like an applehead sealpoint Siamese! see picture below (a little tired after being neutered). Even has kinked tail. He's a rescue, so I figured he'd be a wildbred cat, but how can he have no Oriental or Siamese ancestry at all? Could there be a mistake in the test?

1708012133705.jpeg

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is interesting! And your cat is gorgeous!

Coloring, size, and hair-type don't have to mean breed. Just like not all blue cats are Russian Blues and not all longhair cats are Maine Coons.

In dogs, for example, an argument over whether merle poodles are crossbred or if the merle color occurred as a unique mutation in the same gene. I'm not sure if its been genetically tested yet, but it is an interesting example.

One of our barn cats, just a random bred "moggie", was a gorgeous "flame point" (color point with orange instead of seal). I don't think he had much, if any, Siamese in him. New mutations can appear in the same gene. Also, years of crossbreeding can continue the color gene in another line without the cat having any other strong influences from the original breed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, if his siamese ancestry is 60 generations back, he will have ONLY the point gene, hardly any other siamese genes left at all.

But if the test missed he does have point gene doubled up, this is strange. Or did you said, they DID saw this gene? Its of course apparently correct.

Anyway, him being domestic is quite sure.... The odd is he is supposed to have some scottish fold..

Anyway, I agree totally with you re his looks; and what rest is, is nice speculations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Edgar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes he has the cs gene doubled up.
He is very very talkative and sociable, a great companion. I got the test for a present and did it out of curiousity - the genetic health results are great, so I'll happily assume there is no mistake here. I am interested to learn this, I had no idea a cat could look like this and have no Siamese genes show up!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes he has the cs gene doubled up.
He is very very talkative and sociable, a great companion. I got the test for a present and did it out of curiousity - the genetic health results are great, so I'll happily assume there is no mistake here. I am interested to learn this, I had no idea a cat could look like this and have no Siamese genes show up!
Its alike the saying, the gene wandering down the river of life.... Many generations on...

Look, in russian blue, there happens occasionally pointed russian. They look as old type siameses. Although they ARE purebred. Why does it happens?
Way back in the beginning of the 50:ies, there were few RB left, so they tried to reinforce the genetic pool of RB by adding some blue pointed siameses.... After a couple of years they stopped adding siameses... But the genes are floating still in the broad gene pool. Although cats with known point gene many breeders avoid to use in breeding...

That is why my extreme example of 60 generations back.

But you can count by yourself. Your child will have half of your total genes. Your grandchild will have 1 / 4, Your 1 /8, etc...
In a broad moggie population, there will be virtually none affinity after many generations - aside of these point cs genes; because they did happened to meet. Cs gene isnt not unusual in the total population of moggies...

Of course, it MAY happen some lines will meet again, esp if the population is limited. Still the dilutation of the original individual gens will be total.

A

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Edgar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So crazy, I did not know this. I'm glad I picked him up off the street where he was sleeping outdoors in the snow, and begging for food. As he looks Siamese, I assumed he was a pet who'd been abandoned, but maybe not. He's a charming and affectionate cat.