Strange, non-emotional cat

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got Winn, she seemed sweet, but she was terrified (she was being given away in a box infront of walmart). When I got her home, she freaked when she met the dogs. I kept her gated in the hallway, the dogs couldn't come over, but she still was scared to death of them. Eventually, she got over her fear, and got mean. She stopped staying in the gate, and would walk around like normal, she didn't run from the dogs, but if they got close, she'd growl, hiss, sometimes swat or bite them. She'd also randomly attack me.

The whole time, she has not ever been afraid of me. I can pick her up at random, she doesn't care, but she is not affectionate with me, I might as well be picking up a stuffed animal. I pet her and she ducks away. If I avoid her head, she'll let me pet her longer, but never more than a minute, then she leaves. She seems to like me though, comes and sits on me when I watch tv (I'm not allowed to pet her when she's sitting on me).

And she doesn't purr for me. She will for Fin, so I know her motor's not broken.
I've never had a cat that you couldn't coax a purr from if you tried hard enough.

She's just a peculiar little cat, I guess. She a good cat, pees in the litterbox and all

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all cats enjoy being petted. Winn is one of them and just accept it and love her. In time she may change. My senior was a cold one but mellowed with age.

However, it could be that since she does not like dogs she smells them on you and thus her cool attitude towards you.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just don't like to be held or patted. Or only like to be held and patted by their favorite person and no one else.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Not all cats enjoy being petted. Winn is one of them and just accept it and love her. In time she may change. My senior was a cold one but mellowed with age.

However, it could be that since she does not like dogs she smells them on you and thus her cool attitude towards you.

Thank God you took the kitten instead of someone less understanding. How anyone can just give away kittens to random people and live with themselves afterward is beyond me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i like her anyway. Fin is completely opposite, he's the golden retriever of the cat world, he is crazy affectionate.

She got spooked because first thing harley (dachshund/min pin) did was run over and bark at her. I didn't know he was in the house! Freaked her out. He doesn't mess with her now, my australian kelpie is slightly obsessed but she just watches Winn and attempts to herd her at times. Winn doesn't care, she ignores the kelpie. My other dog is a 15 year old laid back dachshund/beagle mix. The cats like standing in her way when she tries to go down the hall. The other dogs jump over them, but the old one just stops. I think the cats think it's funny.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said Winn was in a box being given away in front of a Walmart. I really can't think of a worse thing to do.
IMO, it's possible Winn is from a home where she either wasn't treated very well or wan't socialized.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Winn probably didn't have proper early socialization with people. And since she doesn't like the dog (he is probably to over-bearing) she associates you to the dog and those random attacks are just transferred aggression really aimed at the dog.

Some cats do not like pets. But just love her and be gentle and she might surprise you someday. My Perla, although only seven months old, did not like to be pet or cuddled much a few months back. I just loved her the same. She now will come behind my head on the couch and snuggle in my hair. She loves human hair
. And just the other day, she came to lay next to me
. Your cat might surprise you and eventually be very affectionate. Or she may always love you from a distance
, but I am sure she loves you!!!

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was raised with kids, so I think that's why she is so compliant about being picked up. But depending on the kids, could have helped convince her that people are kind of obnoxious

She's stopped attacking me, so I like her much better now

I do kind of "force" affection when she's hungry. She gets on her cat tree and starts meowing and trying to get my attention, so I make her let me pet her a minute first. She feigns affection, she'll rub against my hand, but still no purring. She has seen Fin get cuddly when he wants food, so I think she's imitating.

I don't starve my kitties, by the way, they get fed 2x per day (sometimes 3 if they're extra super hungry) they just know meal times.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds a little like Katie!

I adopted Spencer and Katie together. They were about 4 1/2 month old litter mates.

Spencer absolutely loves to be held and cuddled. He can't seem to get enough and will come and past himself up against me in bed so I can rub his tummy. And he loves to be held in my arms, on his back, like an infant child.

Katie on the other hand only wants loves on her terms. She isn't the kind of kitty to come and stay for cuddles. She will wiggle around while you pet her, then leave after a couple minutes and come back again. She never stays put for more than a couple of minutes before wanting to go. And she doesn't like to be picked up.

I just pet her when she lets me, and when she wants to go, she goes. I never force her to stay if she doesn't want to. As she gets older, she may decide that she enjoys sitting with Meowmy getting head scratches and brushes, but right now I think she's too busy being a busy little kitten, afraid to miss something exciting going on!

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Progress! Like I said, I have been "forcing" affection at mealtimes. I'll pet her a minute before food goes down. But today, I didn't pet her as long as I have been, and then put food down, she ignored the food and came over for more love.

And it was faint, but I think there might have been a purr. Crazy. Poor Fin looking at me like, hey, I do that all the time, what's the big deal?

Oh, and she's developed a routine in the morning when I'm getting dressed, she goes over to the window and opens the curtains. Every morning. Weirdo.

I really like this crazy little cat. I had to put my foot down at sticking her paw in the chinchilla cage. My chinchilla is 13 years old and has no fear of other animals (was raised with a border collie who loved all creatures and would open his cage when I was at work and I'd come home to a slobbered chinchilla). He'll run right up and try and nibble her toenails, I don't need him getting hurt.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took Fluffy quite a long time to accept petting. Even now he will only really do so with me, but he's coming out of his shell slowly.

Basically, he's a very nervous cat and tends to be too anxious to purr, I think...