Strange litterbox behavior

thecatdude

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So when my cat uses her box, she will scratch the walls, the side of the cat box, anywhere but the cat litter. I have to keep the box in my room because of my roomate and sometimes she does this at 2am...I have to chase her off...She then returns to it later and continues scratching the walls....

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat used to do this, it would drive me nuts. He also kicked all of the litter out of the litter box and onto the floor! Using a larger litter box seemed to help to give him more room to "dig" so that he would stop digging/scratching at the floor and surrounding walls.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat does that too and I just assume it's their way of cleaning their paws or further burying their waste. I don't think you should scare her off. It makes going to the litter box scary for her and cause problems like eliminating outside of the litterbox.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 that dig like that. One of mine kicks (scratches) the litter out of the box and one that seems to scratch and pull anything nearby into the litter box. Even if another cat is near he will paw at them like he's covering them too.