Strange kitty litter box issues

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Coco (6 months old) has some interesting litter box habits that I'd like to change but don't know how. I have two litter boxes (2cats) and coco likes to pee in one then poop in the other (funny). She does have crystals and is getting over an upper respiratory infection.

I have 2 problems

1. She lifts one her legs up onto the ledge of the litter box when going. I don't know if this is because she's having trouble going, or maybe she's in pain.. She's not meowing while going so I don't think she's in pain but I've just never seen this with any of my other cats and don't know if this is normal.

2. When she's finished with her "business" she steps in the mess with her back paws while covering it with the litter using her front paws. Then she steps out of the litter with dirty paws and walks around the house. I find gray wet litter paw prints around the house like bread crumbs, and she doesn't clean them. She also doesn't clean her bum after going. I was holding her and something smelled - it was her private area. It wasn't dirty but there was a smell. Do cats usually clean themselves after using the box? I'm wondering if she's having problems smelling because she may still have a stuffy nose from her URI. Again,I've never seen this with my cats in the past.

Any suggestions?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is gorgeous. Wow, what a cutie. 

The common rule is three litter boxes per cat. 

Yes, you should call a vet, I've seen cats raise two feet to the lip of the tray when the litter hurts their paws but raising one is something I haven't encountered. It would suggest she is straining. Cats don't tend to let on that they are in pain so can be difficult to tell.  

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@moorspede    I thought the rule was 1 litter box per cat plus one......not 3 per cat

@drmroth    your kitty is adorable!

I think placing on leg on the edge of the litter box can be a normal position for peeing.. it is just what is comfortable for your kitty...

As far as not being hygienic.. well, not sure about re-training her to cover her waste correctly.. and as far as washing after using the litter box.. I am not sure..

I use sensitive skin baby wipes on my guy, who always has 'cling-ons'....he is a high kicker, runs out of the box.. I have litter everywhere!! and sometimes some 'presents'......

We need to contact some people who have had this experience..

If there is a horrible odor coming from you kitty's bum, then I would say it was an anal gland issue and needs Vet care to express them; but she seems young for it..

Good Luck!!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oops I should read what I write, I beg your pardon.