strange kitten behavior

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 month old kitten, Maya, has been showing some strange behavior lately. Every once in a while, I will take her to my friend's house (where Mayas uncle Simba lives) to play. The cats get along great but play a but rough, which is to be expected. However, lately I've noticed that for a few days after she's been ovee she will be aggressive. For example, today her and my five year old, felix, were snuggling on the bed. Then out of nowhere, Maya attacked her, and not in a playful way. I sprayed her and she jumped and attacked me. She drew blood on both Felix and I. This is the second time this has happened but it seems like a few days later, she will be back to normal. What is happening?!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She should not be taken out of her usual environment to play with another cat. Every time you do that, you upset her. At 3 months, she is still forming her personality. The playing rough is conditioning her to see that as normal.

As for the reason she attacked you, when you sprayed her, you became a threat and she was defending herself. This site discourages the use of spray bottles. The behavior problems they cause outweigh the effectiveness you think they have. www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-discipline-dont-mix

Please, stop taking her out, and stop using the bottle.  This should stop her from attacking Felix and you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only used the bottle to break up the fight, as that was thebadvice I had been given (as opposed to sticking my hands in the middle of it.)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only used the bottle to break up the fight, as that was thebadvice I had been given (as opposed to sticking my hands in the middle of it.)
OK, I understand now. Sorry I got on to you. I suggest hissing and clapping your hands really loud. I can do a scream like a male getting ready to fight that gets EVERYONE'S attention and makes them freeze. The thing is you gotta do it while inhaling.

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im starting to feel discouraged. Lately theyve been getting along worse than before. Theybwere doing extremely well for a while and now it's gobe to complete crap.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about taking Thunder back to my daughters house to see her mother and grandmother too. They both had recently gave birth to another litter about 2 weeks apart. After reading catspaw66 I don't think I will do it. Thanks for the tip.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im starting to feel discouraged. Lately theyve been getting along worse than before. Theybwere doing extremely well for a while and now it's gobe to complete crap.
Are they both fixed yet?  Hormones can be coming into play there.  Cats can go into heat by 4 months of age; not 6 like they used to say.  It happened that way with my Mooch.  

I am thinking that the negative experiences with them fighting are now in your older cat's mind.  I would suggest separating them and reintroducing them slowly.  Pretend they never met before.  This thread explains how to reintroduce them.  But they need to be separated for at least a few days first to help things calm down.  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

This link goes to a "sticky" on the Behavior Forum that we have to list some of our best articles and threads on things like fights, aggression, introducing cats, etc.  I often link people to some of these articles because these things you are going through really are common.  

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/248993/tcs-cat-behavior-resources-articles-and-important-threads

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they are both fixed. They're sleeping together right now. Snuggling. I think Maya has nightmares. Ive noticed when she sleeps sometimes she will, in her sleep, hiss and fling herself off of whatever she is sleeping on.