Strange/Comical Behavior

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Gracie goes absolutely bonkers anytime I clean the shower.  This has happened since I got her when she was 8 weeks old; she is now 6 months.  Anytime I clean the shower she will come charging into the bathroom and start meowing and rolling around on the bathroom mat.  Never fails, every single time.  I cleaned the shower this morning at 8am and she charged in and started her routine.  I made her leave the room and left the door shut all day until I returned home from work at 7pm.  As soon I opened the bathroom door she was in there again.  Here is a video of her this evening.  This is mild compared to how she usually reacts.  Anyone know what may be causing her to act like this?

mykittyjinx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I take a shower my Jinx jumps on the ledge of the tub and paces back and forth meowing very very loud. He's in between the shower curtain and the liner which is clear so he can see right in while I shower without getting wet. Everyone in my household knows when I'm showering, that's how loud he gets. [emoji]128563[/emoji]
I'm not sure if he thinks the water is attacking me or if he's upset that he can't get close because he don't want to get wet. My husband says it's because I spoil him and he's letting me know he doesn't want me showering EVER. He has also done this since we've got him at 9 weeks and he's 5 months now.
Oh and closing the door only makes him madder. He will scratch the door and cry pitifully outside so I just let him in.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Siamese are talkers and most enjoy being around their owners. Doors in the house are never closed and no rooms are off-limits. They are always underfoot. We often say they don't need names because they are never out of our reach.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat Gracie goes absolutely bonkers anytime I clean the shower.  This has happened since I got her when she was 8 weeks old; she is now 6 months.  Anytime I clean the shower she will come charging into the bathroom and start meowing and rolling around on the bathroom mat.  Never fails, every single time.  I cleaned the shower this morning at 8am and she charged in and started her routine.  I made her leave the room and left the door shut all day until I returned home from work at 7pm.  As soon I opened the bathroom door she was in there again.  Here is a video of her this evening.  This is mild compared to how she usually reacts.  Anyone know what may be causing her to act like this?

She likes the rug and is enjoying herself. Cats are creatures of habit.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has nothing to do with actually taking a shower or the rug.  She only ever acts like this after I have cleaned the shower itself.  I am wondering if there is something in the cleaner (Tilex) that makes her acts like this.  That's why I keep the door closed, so she cannot get into the bathroom and smell the cleaner because it is strong.

And now... after doing a google search, I found a thread on here where other owners said that their cats go crazy when Tilex or other bleach cleaners are used.  Guess my little kitty is one of these weirdos.  Strange, just strange.

mykittyjinx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has nothing to do with actually taking a shower or the rug.  She only ever acts like this after I have cleaned the shower itself.  I am wondering if there is something in the cleaner (Tilex) that makes her acts like this.  That's why I keep the door closed, so she cannot get into the bathroom and smell the cleaner because it is

And now... after doing a google search, I found a thread on here where other owners said that their cats go crazy when Tilex or other bleach cleaners are used.  Guess my little kitty is one of these weirdos.  Strange, just strange.
She's beautiful. I love her fluffy tail.

Last edited:

mykittyjinx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Siamese are talkers and most enjoy being around their owners. Doors in the house are never closed and no rooms are off-limits. They are always underfoot. We often say they don't need names because they are never out of our reach.
Everything you've said is 100% correct. He will be in a dead sleep and if I leave the room he jumps up and runs after me. Lol

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I watched the video three times, very carefuly.

- cat targets ear-to-carpet movement

- cat licks himself and pet his ear

- cat moves around one ear

- cat does not clinch the carpet

I would then check his ears first for infections and parasites.  Then go for behavior or chemical-induced movements.

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I watched the video three times, very carefuly.

- cat targets ear-to-carpet movement

- cat licks himself and pet his ear

- cat moves around one ear

- cat does not clinch the carpet

I would then check his ears first for infections and parasites.  Then go for behavior or chemical-induced movements.
Thanks for the response.  As I said in my first post, she has been doing this for 4 months, and only acts like this after that certain cleaner has been sprayed.  She has been to the vet & humane society multiple times for vaccinations, spaying and general check-ups. They always check her ears and have never found anything wrong with them.  I am guessing it is just something in that cleaner that makes her react that way.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Then you may use the same cleaning agent in other part of the house and see what happens.

petercotton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Then you may use the same cleaning agent in other part of the house and see what happens.
I sprayed the cleaner in a different bathroom tonight.  That is why the rooms looks similar.  Anyway, same results.  Here is a video from tonight.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My opinion is that he cleaning agent passes the brain barrier and modifies the brain functions. This is very common for organic solvents.

In my country some people even use such solvents to get high. The very bad news in using solvents as drogues is that they damage the brain in an irreversible way.

As a matter of precaution, I would not use that cleaning agent anymore. Chances are that it may affect the human brain as well, although not so radical and not so intense to modify the behavior. Killing neurons is not nice.