Strange cat behavior

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my outside cats, Dusty, had kittens six weeks ago. We live in a rural area. She had them away from the house and 2 weeks ago she brought one up to the house in the garage where there is food and water for the outside cats. I went to check on the rest of the litter and there were none there. Something must have gotten them. At that same time when she moved this one kitten, another cat named MIssy had kittens. Missy is Dusty's kitten and is 10 months old. None of Missy's kittens survived. I noticed that Missy hangs around Dusty a lot. Today I saw Dusty nursing both her baby kitten and Missy. Is this normal? Never seen or heard of this before.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe some of our members who deal with kittens and pregnant/stray cats might have seen this before. It could be some sort of consolation for Missy??

Last edited by a moderator:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, normal. Some Moms with litters close together will continue to nurse the older kittens, especially when they only have a single baby kitten. Please try to get both cats spayed as soon as possible. Whether it is a health or environmental issue that their kittens aren’t surviving, it’s not right to make them continue to have babies.