Strange Cat Behavior: Masturbation And Spraying ?

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my cat for 2 years. Someone gave him to me because he would have been put on the street. I learned from a vet that he was neutered and male. Recently (within the past 2 months) my cat has been showing very strange behavior. I stopped allowing him to sleep in the bed with me because he was becoming extremely territorial and would even walk in front of my face while I was sleeping. Now whenever I get home from work he masturbates around 4-6 times. I actually find it to be very disturbing and I don't know how to make him stop. He was not doing this in the past and it's always with this cat bed and blanket I gave him which was previously next to my bed but I ended up having to move into the living room because I didn't like how he would just be right there masturbating. If I'm home all day like on the weekends he will masturbate many times throughout the day. Like more than once per hour it seems. Also when I went to work today I noticed a strange smell on my pants near the crotch area like pee or spray from a cat. It was very strong idek how I didn't notice this morning. He was not doing this in the past. I thought neutered cats don't do that type of thing? I am the type of person who throws a lot of clothes on the floor but I just don't understand why he's doing all of these things now that he never did in the past. Please help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to clarify.. my cat is about 7 years old. And this behavior bothers me because I don't want my cat to view me in a sexual manner. It's weird. I liked it much better when he wasn't masturbating every time I turn the corner or whenever I decide to sit on the couch.

Last edited:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a theory, but if he is masturbating, it could be to soothe himself and relieve anxiety since his human suddenly and strangely (to him) kicked him out of his bedroom at night. The spraying would be to regain "territory." Otherwise, it could be a medical problem for the vet, but I don't know. One of my sister's cats used to lick himself suddenly and was an anxious cat and did get UTIs sometimes, I think. He also howls loudly in the middle of the night.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand the "masturbation" part either? Your cat doesn't see you as a sexual object. If he is grooming himself and his penis slips out from the prepuce (sheath or skin covering the penis) this is not an indication that he's masturbating. It's purely from accidental stimulation.

If he's humping things suddenly it could be due to lack of play time or bordem? Have you had him examined by a vet to ensure the neutering was fully successful? I've heard of that. The spraying is territorial like the above poster commented. Ive had a neutered male that sprayed.

Last edited:

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a theory, but if he is masturbating, it could be to soothe himself and relieve anxiety since his human suddenly and strangely (to him) kicked him out of his bedroom at night. The spraying would be to regain "territory." Otherwise, it could be a medical problem for the vet, but I don't know. One of my sister's cats used to lick himself suddenly and was an anxious cat and did get UTIs sometimes, I think. He also howls loudly in the middle of the night.
He used to do the howling at night too but it has stopped

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I understand the "masturbation" part either? Your cat doesn't see you as a sexual object. If he is grooming himself and his penis slips out from the prepuce (sheath or skin covering the penis) this is not an indication that he's masturbating. It's purely from accidental stimulation.

If he's humping things suddenly it could be due to lack of play time or bordem? Have you had him examined by a vet to ensure the neutering was fully successful? I've heard of that. The spraying is territorial like the above poster commented. Ive had a neutered male that sprayed.
This cat is masturbating. He is humping said object which I indicated in the first post with his penis out. Then when he's done he licks it.. don't know how else to explain masturbation lol I'm just not understanding why he is behaving this way now when he has not behaved this way before

Orglethorp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is purring and kneeding the object(s) he is "masturbating" on, it may not be a sexual behaviour at all. Many cats display former kitten behaviours when they are enjoying something. Kneeding is a kitten behaviour. So is letting the penis hang out while kneeding (nursing) as a very young male kitten would have had all his personal cleaning needs met by his mother. My own adult neutered male (will be 7 in September) often lets it all hang out when he's really enjoying a cuddle with me, and that's all it is. Just a former kitten behaviour coming back out as a display of enjoyment.

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is purring and kneeding the object(s) he is "masturbating" on, it may not be a sexual behaviour at all. Many cats display former kitten behaviours when they are enjoying something. Kneeding is a kitten behaviour. So is letting the penis hang out while kneeding (nursing) as a very young male kitten would have had all his personal cleaning needs met by his mother. My own adult neutered male (will be 7 in September) often lets it all hang out when he's really enjoying a cuddle with me, and that's all it is. Just a former kitten behaviour coming back out as a display of enjoyment.
As I do understand kneading is a kit tin behavior the cat mounts the cat bed as if he is engaging in sex. It happened again this morning as it has been for the past month or so. I can't pet him or anything without him doing it. I've decided to just take away the cat bed completely.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he urinating okay? My cat does this type of thing on a blanket like once a day, but certainly not every hour. I wonder if your cat is not feeling good and trying to comfort himself.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he bored? Do you play with him? He may be looking for attention.

It's not necessarily sexual, and definitely has nothing to do with the cat being sexually attracted to you.

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he urinating okay? My cat does this type of thing on a blanket like once a day, but certainly not every hour. I wonder if your cat is not feeling good and trying to comfort himself.
I'm wondering if this could be the case as well. I took him to the vet last year and she said he was completely healthy. Maybe I should take him back. I'm not sure how I would be able to tell if he is having difficulty urinating but I do know that he drinks plenty of water and pees in his litter box everyday.

tamalaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he bored? Do you play with him? He may be looking for attention.

It's not necessarily sexual, and definitely has nothing to do with the cat being sexually attracted to you.
My cat doesn't like to play. I've tried playing with him on various occasions. All he likes to do is be pet and I do that whenever I am home. He's old so he doesn't really like playing with strings and all that stuff

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using clumping litter? Are the clumps of pee big enough? If they are really tiny, then that could mean a UTI. Or if he keeps going to the litter box and straining.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't like to play. I've tried playing with him on various occasions. All he likes to do is be pet and I do that whenever I am home. He's old so he doesn't really like playing with strings and all that stuff
7 really isn't old at all. I second the vet visit. If he's not active he might not be feeling well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any new weird behavior warrants a vet visit. Have them do blood tests. . .certain endocrine disorders can cause sexual behavior.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After the vet visit, if you can take him, if nothing is wrong and you still can't take him in your bedroom at night, why not leave him with his cat bed? Looking at it from his point-of-view, he's being shut out of part of his territory where he slept at night. It might cause more anxiety if his cat bed gets taken away. Otherwise, if he is masturbating if it's not medical, maybe you can find a way to let him into the bedroom at night again? If you find something he likes playing with, it could tire him out. My cat occasionally jumps on me at night, but thankfully, I can fall back asleep quickly. Do you have a cat tree in your bedroom, I have one my cat loves to sleep on and she'll sleep there until later in the night when she comes to lie on a furry cat blanket next to me in our bed.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had my cat for 2 years. Someone gave him to me because he would have been put on the street. I learned from a vet that he was neutered and male. Recently (within the past 2 months) my cat has been showing very strange behavior. I stopped allowing him to sleep in the bed with me because he was becoming extremely territorial and would even walk in front of my face while I was sleeping. Now whenever I get home from work he masturbates around 4-6 times. I actually find it to be very disturbing and I don't know how to make him stop. He was not doing this in the past and it's always with this cat bed and blanket I gave him which was previously next to my bed but I ended up having to move into the living room because I didn't like how he would just be right there masturbating. If I'm home all day like on the weekends he will masturbate many times throughout the day. Like more than once per hour it seems. Also when I went to work today I noticed a strange smell on my pants near the crotch area like pee or spray from a cat. It was very strong idek how I didn't notice this morning. He was not doing this in the past. I thought neutered cats don't do that type of thing? I am the type of person who throws a lot of clothes on the floor but I just don't understand why he's doing all of these things now that he never did in the past. Please help
There is such a thing as an undescended testicle. It stays in the body when the animal is growing and does not descend into its proper place when they are older. This can happen in people also. Anyway if he was neutered and they only did one because the other is still inside his body he would eventually start getting flooded with hormones from it. He would probably be sterile because of the too warm conditions of being internal rather than external but the hormones would still be in full force. Only a vet could tell for sure and it would require surgery to fix.
Another possibility is that he is picking up trace amounts of hormones from somewhere in your house. like from birth control pills, but that is unlikely. There was a study done not to long ago, and is probably still ongoing about the effect of the huge amounts of synthetic hormones that are being discharged into the environment through sewage treatment plants. The plants remove organic waste but do not remove things like hormones which go through the system unaltered. One of the things that they cause is for all tadpoles to develop into females.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to add that we used to have a male kitty who did some of these behaviors constantly, turned out he struggled with constant UTIs. I was weirded out by it as well lol, but he was put on special food and medicine and we changed to a corn litter and it basically stopped. Also that cat calming spray, can't remember the name but I see it on here all the time for anxiety. He was only 2 when the problems started.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im thinking on your question. What happened really when you stopped him sleeping with you? What does it matter he was walking near your face?? Cats do it, so what is the problem??

What I mean, all this changes, either humping for real or some sort of kitten kneading, began after this you didnt let him sleep together with you. So he is literally separated from you, not allowed no longer to be near you, surely his favorite person...
So, the suggestion he may have some UTI-problems - a vet check up is wise, but also

I think its some sort of anxiety stress. If you cant allow him back, I would suggest to try with a Feliway diffuser. Much relaxing music. You perhaps find other ideas to along these lines...