Strange behavior

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is 16 years old I give her daily fluids for her kidneys. The other night I found her in her bed laying in her urine and blood. We rushed he to the emergency animal hospital, they ran tests and I get it she is a senior cat with issues, they gave her some more fluid and gave amocillion and some pain meds for her, their think it could of been kidney stones.
So we have her home followed up with our vet, now the strange behavior that night I stayed up watching over her I put a comforter on the floor and she went to it laid down and now that comforter has be come like her safe place, she gets off it to go eat and use the litterbox, and that's it. She will not venture anywhere else in the house, she will not even come up on the couch with us which is only a foot away from the comforter. She even plays on the comforter she is overly affectionate when we pet her, but it almost feels like she is a different cat. I am guessing the whole ordeal was overwhelming for her, she is my sweetheart and I just was her senior years to be the best we can give her.
Has any one else ever experienced anything like this, I would love to know. Thank you for reading this.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be that she was feeling better when she got home from the emergency hospital, so now she associates that comforter with feeling better. If she wanders too far from it, the pain might return :dunno: ?

Is she still on the pain meds? Did they put her on Royal Canin S/O food to try to break up any stones? Not sure what the phosphorus amount in it, but just wondering if that's what they recommended, at least for awhile?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect that she isn’t feeling very strong as a result of her stones, the experience of going to the vet or some underlying issue that may be causing pain or making her feel weak. I would keep a close eye on food intake and urination

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be that she was feeling better when she got home from the emergency hospital, so now she associates that comforter with feeling better. If she wanders too far from it, the pain might return :dunno: ?

Is she still on the pain meds? Did they put her on Royal Canin S/O food to try to break up any stones? Not sure what the phosphorus amount in it, but just wondering if that's what they recommended, at least for awhile?
She is on hill science although she is not that crazy about it, I will look into the royal Canin thank you for mentioning that. She is on the amoxicillin, the pain meds have some horrible side affects, and she becomes lethargic when we give them to her, even though it is a very small dose, she is alert, her eyes are bright and she rests and wiggles playfully, we are only giving her the pain meds once a day. Plan on telling the vet on Monday to see what he says.
I hope over the next week or so she will go back to her being herself.
Thank you so much for your words, very much appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suspect that she isn’t feeling very strong as a result of her stones, the experience of going to the vet or some underlying issue that may be causing pain or making her feel weak. I would keep a close eye on food intake and urination
Thank you I am watching her she is eating and drinking water, and using her litter box. She hasn't done her business yet, vet said Sunday I can give her a laxative to help her with that since it will be 3 days. She such a sweet girl I just want her senior years to ba as healthy and comfortable as I can make them for her, she already has all my love. Thank you have a good night.