Strange Behavior...

hana18redcrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently my older cats behavior has been of a concern. She is only about 10 years old but she has slowed down with eating, secludes herself to the bathroom and has gotten very thin, like feel her spines every vertebrae thin.

The vet has assured us that this is more or less her slowly shutting down and dying. So we have been waiting for our poor Ginxey to slip away in her sleep and just trying to make her comfortable. She tries to meow and its so sad...

But last night and this morning she has tried to jump into the shower while people were using it! Last night she was too late but this morning she got in halfway through my SO's shower and is currently sitting, soaked and sad looking in the tub.

I wanted to know if anyone has seen this kind of behavior? She's drinking water from a bowl just fine so we know that it's not just a sudden want for running water... But it's really unusual to see a cat do this, dying or not...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her brain may be affected, she may not even know she is doing these strange things. It IS a little unusual for a 10 year old cat to be dying of old age. I would insist on a blood test, thyroid test, to see what is going on. She may have an infection going on somewhere that is affecting her eating and behavior. Now would be the time to seek a different vet and get a second opinion, it would set your mind at ease that everything was done that could be. My heart goes out to you, it is difficult to watch someone you love decline like that.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with di and bob. Please get a 2nd opinion. 10 yrs is relatively young for an indoor kitty. If your current vet is suggesting cats just die of "old age" with no reason for her sickness, then he sounds like a very bad vet.
Sending best wishes and good vibes to your Ginxey. :vibes:

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should never leave a cat soaking after a bath. Obviously you didn't intend on her getting wet but that is besides the point.