Strange Behavior

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just brought one of our cats home from the vet (male being neutered), and our other neutered male cat is being just awful to him and our other cats. Puffing up his tail, growling, howling, hissing, and making the most godawful noise I've heard in awhile! They used to get along when one of them still had his bits. Is this a dominance thing? Or does he remember the smell of the vet?

Bowie (the instigator) has never been like this, and poor Sparrow just wants to be friends.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think (1) he remembers the smell of the vet and (2) the cat who came home from the vets smells different than he use to.
I think in a few days it will pass. In the meantime, you could try putting a bit of vanilla on all the cats so they all smell the same. And perhaps separating them for a time.
Oh, and congratulations for neutering your male cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!
I will try that; it's just the one cat causing a ruckus over him, his sister and the other two are all fine with him and interested in sniffing the carrier he travelled in.

I try and fix all my cats; we only have one unspayed, because we can't get near her to plop her in the carrier! She's next though, once her kittens are grown.

mishicats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sparrow smells very different to Bowie.  He has all the smells from the vet clinic. Other animals, medicine, etc.. Bowie thinks there is a stranger cat in this home.  I would keep them separated for a while. You might try rubbing Bowie with a towel and them rubbing it on Sparrow to swap scents. That way Sparrow smells like Bowie.  Don't do it the other way around though. That may cause more problems. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shlargh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not only is he howling at the kitty who went to the vet, he's also howling at Alice, who didn't go to the vet. He is in solitary confinement once again (he had a prison break earlier). I think we will be getting some Feliway.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My older spayed and neutered cats do the same thing every time I bring a younger one home from the vet. I think the smell brings back bad memories for them and they start hissing at anything that gets in their way, regardless of whether they smell of the vet or not. 

I haven't tried a Feliway diffuser, I burn lots of sandalwood incense that seems to calm them down.

They're usually back to normal after a few days.