Strange behavior, was it a seizure?

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. My 3 yr. old cat Gracie just experienced a very strange behavior. I saw her sitting in the hallway and she had one front paw up beside her ear, like she was going to wash herself, but she was just frozen in place. Then, after about 20-30 seconds, she very slowly lowered her paw and crouched then lay down and didn't move. Her eyes moved and she seemed aware of me but she seemed stiff. There was no shaking or foaming at the mouth. I talked softly to her and stroked her and after a couple of minutes she started moving again and within 3 or 4 minutes she was completely back to normal again, jumping up on the furniture and even eating. Does this sound like a seizure and since it has passed would the vet be able to figure anything out at this point? I am going to call her anyway, but am wondering if any of you might have experienced something similar.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With Flapjack it started out with twitchy whiskers and a glassy-eyed expression. He'd just gotten over an upper respiratory tract infection so we didn't think much of it at first. A day later it exploded into violent seizures. Talking to your veterinarian is a good idea.

hopscotch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would contact a vet, especially if you suspect such a young cat is having a seizure. Something else could be going on and you might be able to prevent another one from happening. If it is a seizure, uncontrolled seizures can happen from a variety of things and can ultimately lead to things like blindness and brain damage. Medication can be given to avoid a further problem.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely contact your vet. I agree that this could be a seizure. A cat of mine several years ago who was not diagnosed correctly with what was probably cardiomyopathy exhibited the frozen paw behind the ear stance.