Strange behavior has me concerned

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
VBCat parent
Hoping for all the best for you and Regent. Sometimes they surprise you and adjust very quickly to a new place. I truly hope that's how it works out for all of you. Fingers crossed Hon!!!

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not laughing at all...  In April of 2014, my sweet Tazzy, a 17 1/2 yo diluted calico crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  We shared an especially deep and special bond.  I was so devastated, I decided to go to my local shelter and "look" at kitties.  I took one step into the "Kitten" room; before I was able to even look around, a diluted calico/tabby mix was wrapped around my neck, kneading and purring, and did not let go of me.  I have always felt that our animals pick us. I with Posie hanging around my neck, I turned around, picked up a black and silver tabby who was so sweet, and did not look at any other kittens.

They just turned a year old.  Posie (diluted calico/tabby) is probably one of the smartest cats I have ever had, with personality plus. At three months old she figured out how to unzip and get out of her carrier. She and Dandelion (silver/black /tabby) are not litter mates, yet they are the best of friends, and could not be any closer. Dandy is laid back, the sweetest kitty I have ever seen, and both are often laying on me.  Many nights, (this only happens at night) both of them will lay at the end of my bed and stare out the door (there is nothing there) as if they are looking at something.  Sometimes when I get up late at night and it is dark, Posie will be staring into the darkness as if she is following or seeing something. Dandy does the same thing. When Posie stares into the darkness (it is always in the direction of the living room) there are times where it looks as if her eyes are following something..... So yes! At times I wonder if.........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
GreenCatEyes, that's a very cool story!

I'm a little concerned about Regent again. His wall obsession is worse than ever. We have picked up the keys at the new place but due to work schedules can't move for two weeks. Anyway, about a week ago he switched his focus to a different wall in our bedroom. He literally stares at it nonstop from sunup to sundown. As soon as we start cooking dinner, he is gone upstairs. For the rest of the night, no sleep, no food, no play, he just sits and watches a place on the wall. He will be receptive to pets if you approach, but he will not leave the wall to follow you. Sometimes at random intervals he stands up and tries to attack an empty spot.

I've researched cognitive decline, and I don't think he has that; he doesn't get lost or have any memory problems. It's just an obsession with the walls.

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize for my late reply; one of our cats has not been well for a while, he has at the Vet's since Sunday.  He is only five and a half, he could barely walk when we brought him in Sunday.  Last night the Vet said his front legs are now stiff and his pupils are unequal.  He has X-rayed, run blood tests, and on "paper" all appears to be normal.  He believes it is something viral / neurological.

Back to Regent, if he still appears stressed, and acting abnormal, I highly suggest trying "Rescue Remedy for Pets" (Rescue Remedy also is available for humans, however it contains alcohol).   I have used this on one of my younger kitties, Dandelion ("Dandy") who has always been skittish and will run and hide at the sound of a door shutting.  I have been using Rescue Remedy on her (4 drops twice a day in her wet food, I make a special bowl for her with a teaspoon of food so she finishes it).   She is still a bit skittish, however she is definitely much calmer overall.  I have found the best price at Amazon ($13.49 - $14.10 for a .20 oz bottle).

BTW, I know what Posie and Dandy see... PM me if you want to know the details.

I hope Regent is better!