Strange Allergy, Real Close To Feline Hyperesthesia?

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy has bouts of Feline Hyperesthesia (rolling skin disease). The skin in his back will roll and he'll run around like his tail is on fire. Really hurts to watch. We get him, hold him, and after 30 minutes or so, he's back to normal. Doesn't happen often though.
BUT, the strange case is Gibs.
IF your cat acts like this sometimes, take a look at his surroundings. It may be allergies and something you can help to control.

Gibs has bouts of running around the same, shaking his head like his ears are full of biting fleas, shaking his legs the same, than tearing into the fur on his legs with his teeth and ripping out chunks of fur. Generally lasts 15 minutes to an hour.

Pretty sure we have this nailed down to allergies.
1st time he acted like this was after a point blank whiff of a stink bug.
2nd time he grabbed a trash bag out of the trash can and carried it through the house. (trash bags are scented)
3rd time was after a long slobbery wallow session with a toy that had catnip in it.
4th time he either wallowed all over some bed sheets just dried with a scented "dryer sheet", OR, it could have been some Febreeze on the carpet.
There have been other times, but, we were not looking for "stuff" that caused it. We just thought it might be "him" instead of something in his environment.

Just something to consider.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree about the allergies. One of my girls is a classic hyperesteshia case, since she was a kitten. Her bouts only last a few minutues at a time and have never proved dangerous - just sad to watch and not really a cure out there (although phenobarbital helps, it is not good to be on long term and requires blood monitoring). The case you describe definitely sounds much different than classic FHS.

Thank you for posting - there are allergens out there I don't even think of! Good to consider all those things that you mention.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Allergies can cause all SORTS of odd symptoms! Thank goodness this seems to be something that you have some chance of controlling to some extent!