Straneg Things Cats Do

KittyMeowBrownie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The reason I wanted to make this thread is not only to help some people with their questions, BUT also because there is this serious question I wanted to ask about my cat, I have a cat named Brownie and there are scabs on her neck and back, now I know this is normal since she has fleas but some parts on her scabs look red like she has an infection there or something, I am really starting to worry about her, if you guys know what's wrong with her or why this is happening to her please tell me and if it's something really bad that happened to her please tell me how to help my cat, I really care about my cats and I HOPE she is okay

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If she has fleas and is scratching to the point of redness, those are areas where she has probably gotten them infected due to the incessant scratching. So, I have to ask, don't you use some sort of flea treatment? And, if you are, then it sounds like it is time to try another type. If you aren't, you really need to start with a flea treatment of some sort. If you get rid of the fleas, the scratching (unless she also has allergies) will stop.

You also need to be aware that some cats are allergic to fleas which will make the scratching worse.

In the meantime, you probably should call your vet and ask what OTC treatment you could put on the scabs, or if they would rather you bring her in to be looked over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyMeowBrownie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If she has fleas and is scratching to the point of redness, those are areas where she has probably gotten them infected due to the incessant scratching. So, I have to ask, don't you use some sort of flea treatment? And, if you are, then it sounds like it is time to try another type. If you aren't, you really need to start with a flea treatment of some sort. If you get rid of the fleas, the scratching (unless she also has allergies) will stop.

You also need to be aware that some cats are allergic to fleas which will make the scratching worse.

In the meantime, you probably should call your vet and ask what OTC treatment you could put on the scabs, or if they would rather you bring her in to be looked over.
No we haven't really used any flea treatment and I'm not even sure if we can afford it, the most we've ever really been able to do about her fleas is giving her flea baths but sometimes afterwards there is lots of blood in the bath (Which is probably from her fleas biting her) I'm not sure if she is allergic to fleas, once we tried getting her a flea collar, but after I searched on the internet and found so much stuff saying about how flea collars can kill cats we decided to get rid of the flea collar and not risk her dying from the flea collar in case if it was true that cats can die from flea collars

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure how many flea collars are that effective in ridding a cat of fleas anyway. Maybe someone here will recommend some that are.

But, you need to check and see how you could afford the flea treatments for her. Coupons, special deals, buying in larger quantity for a reduced price, asking the vet to supply them and pay on a payment schedule, etc. Trust me, in long haul, that is going to be way cheaper than what might happen with potential vet visits to treat infections.

She needs to be relieved of those fleas! Even if you don't see it, they are pretty much making her miserable.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I understand money being tight but in the long run flea treatment could save you a lot of money. As wells as the possibility of flea bite allergies, a flea is biting to suck blood. This could make your cats anemic and/or dehydrated and weaken their immune system so they are more prone to other illness and high vet bills.

I know you can get a more affordable price online. I'm sorry I don't which sites are reputable or what is the most effective treatment.

We have indoor cats, no other pets, and haven't had fleas in years. We had a bad infestation about 15 yrs ago and used a treatment that killed or altered the eggs so they wouldn't hatch. I'm not sure which. I'm paranoid about insecticides so we didn't treat the house. After 2 mts of treatment, daily vacuuming with mothballs in the bag, and flea combing, dipping the comb a glass of water after each swipe we had no more fleas. To be safe we continued the treatment through the following summer.

Flea baths are only effective if you also use a flea treatment. My vet said fleas really like a clean animal.

The red mark could also be your cat scratching itself. If you trim their nails they are less likely to hurt themselves. There are video available to show you how to tell how far down to cut. My partners does it, I'm too afraid I'll hurt them.

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just gonna repeat what everyone said and get that flea medication if you can! It really is more cost effective. Also if your kitty has a history of scratching herself and are getting infections, it is better and easier on the wallet to prevent future infections than risk a vet trip if an infection takes a turn for the worse.

Where are you from? I'm from the US and personally buy Activyl from Allivet.com for my cats. It's an ointment I squeeze at the base of their necks and one tube protects them from fleas for a month, sometimes more depending on how bad fleas are that season.

Be careful which medication you buy. DO NOT EVER use dog flea treatments on cats, since it has an ingredient that are toxic to and can kill cats. If it has pyrethrin/pyrethroid (ex. permethrin, cyphenothrin) it's super poisonous to cats! I don't currently have a list of which medication to avoid on me right now (I'll see if I have one lying around tomorrow), but be sure to do your research before getting a brand!

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fleas don't stay on your cat. They go in your carpet, your furniture, and clothes. When the cat is not enough of a source of food, they will start going for you. I've walked into people's houses and had my ankles eaten up like you wouldn't believe. It's incredibly uncomfortable and can seriously overwhelm your cat and make her sick.

So now, you'll need to bug bomb your house and do a thorough cleaning, most likely several times. You'll want to give your cat Capstar, which kills everything on her for 24hrs, and follow up with a very approved flea treatment (lasts for one month). You'll still want to monitor for fleas, because it's easy to still miss the eggs and have a new generation pop up.

The cheapest thing you can do is cough up the money for monthly flea treatment, or keep the cat strictly indoors. It's been years since I had to deal with fleas but let me tell you, it is NOT fun. I had roommates I've who did not give their animals flea treatment and even though I did, the house got so interest that it still wasn't enough to protect him. I had to take the above steps several times before it became manageable, and seriously kept up the vacuuming for months after.

Flea collars do nothing, except keep fleas off the head. I had a family cat that barely survived poisoning (caused temporary seizures) from the does stuff you get at grocery stores. I will only use something vet approved, or keep cats inside.

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If fleas are the problem, and it sounds like it may well be, the treatment is essential. Preferably sooner rather than later. If she's scratching to the point of hurting herself, she needs relief as soon as possible.

There are plenty of effective OTC treatments you can apply between their shoulder blades, and also powders and shampoos for your carpet. Your house will likely have to be treated too, to eliminate any threat of them returning. Everything cloth they can cling to will have to be treated or washed. The longer you wait, the more money this could potentially cost you. Particularly if some of those wounds she's scratching get infected, and she needs a trip to the vet.

Suchasweety

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh boy, I would suck up the cost for flea meds. At Walmart you can get 4 tubes of advantage 2 for about $52 that is four months of prevention. It is the only one safe for rabbits although it is for cat's.
Why treating for fleas is a Must? Fleas cause infection, they also are the #1 reason for tapeworms in cat's. Look it up.
For the sores , they may heal by themselves if you treat cat and every other animal in home and all rugs.
I would take cat to vet and get it checked out and on salve for the sores or injection if vet prefers.
You cannot sit on this and expect it to go away. Your cat could also have mites. A vet could check it out.
But at the very least get some flea meds on All animals and treat your home. And keep treating home until you see no more fleas.
Just so you know I am not coming down on you, 18 yes ago we had a massive flea infestation and it took 2 months and quite a few $$ to get rid of them. We didn't know the home we moved to had them.
Keep us posted

apparatchic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get your cat treated for fleas. Period. This is one of the costs of being a pet owner and you are obligated to take care of this poor girl. Your cat is uncomfortable, she could get very sick, and the infection could be a serious problem.

Step 1 is a flea treatment for your cat. Your vet can tell you which one they recommend - Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, Bravecto are some of the names. I discovered my cat had fleas last month and gave her Bravecto, which lasts for 3 months (killing any fleas that bite her), but different things work in different places. If your cat goes outdoors, she should get this treatment regularly to prevent another infestation.

Step 2 is treating your house. Don't fool yourself - if they're on your cat, they are in your house. First, vacuum EVERYTHING, especially places where your cat likes to sleep - furniture, carpets, baseboards, cat trees, everything. Then treat carpets and furniture with a premise spray that contains an IGR (insect growth regulator) - these sprays kill adult fleas and prevent non-adult fleas from growing into adults. You'll need to keep your cat in a separate area while you use the sprays and let them dry, but they are relatively safe if used according to direction.

Step 3 is maintenance. Flea eggs fall off cats once they're laid and settle into carpets and nooks and crannies where they can develop undisturbed. For at least a few weeks, you're going to need to vacuum a lot more than usual - every day is best to ensure that you're getting all of the eggs that your cat's been leaving around. You may need to treat everything with the spray a second time after about 1 to 2 weeks.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you put any flea collar on your cat look up on the net as follows

Brand name of flea collar reviews and complaints.

Some collars that say they are for cats are dangerous. I, personally avoid all collars. Not only can the pesticide have the same effect on your cat as on the fleas, but the collar can get caught in your cat's mouth and she will chew on the poison.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyMeowBrownie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand money being tight but in the long run flea treatment could save you a lot of money. As wells as the possibility of flea bite allergies, a flea is biting to suck blood. This could make your cats anemic and/or dehydrated and weaken their immune system so they are more prone to other illness and high vet bills.

I know you can get a more affordable price online. I'm sorry I don't which sites are reputable or what is the most effective treatment.

We have indoor cats, no other pets, and haven't had fleas in years. We had a bad infestation about 15 yrs ago and used a treatment that killed or altered the eggs so they wouldn't hatch. I'm not sure which. I'm paranoid about insecticides so we didn't treat the house. After 2 mts of treatment, daily vacuuming with mothballs in the bag, and flea combing, dipping the comb a glass of water after each swipe we had no more fleas. To be safe we continued the treatment through the following summer.

Flea baths are only effective if you also use a flea treatment. My vet said fleas really like a clean animal.

The red mark could also be your cat scratching itself. If you trim their nails they are less likely to hurt themselves. There are video available to show you how to tell how far down to cut. My partners does it, I'm too afraid I'll hurt them.
Well, my cat does scratch and bite her scabs, but we recently just put this stuff on her scabs that's supposed to help heal it but so far I'm not sure if it's working, I really hope that she's fine, but for some reason the rest of my family are not that concerned, I'm starting to get a feeling that soon she might DIE because of her fleas (And I know that can actually happen) Sometimes we flea bomb the house to make sure there's no fleas in the house but then again that doesn't help get rid of my cats fleas. Also if fleas really like clean animals why would they be on Brownie if we only give her a bath like once a month? Also I don't want to trim her nails if what you mean by that is declawing her cause that's STRAIGHT UP WRONG! Cats need their claws mostly for defending themselves, anyway thanks for telling me!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also I don't want to trim her nails
That is kind of part of owning a cat, trimming their nails. Otherwise they can scratch themselves up. Why don't you want to do it? Cats also need to be treated when they are infested with parasites. With fleas comes tapeworms. This is all just going to turn into one giant expense if not treated quickly and thoroughly.

Also the blood you see when you give a bath is just that, blood from the fleas. The flea poop is all the black specks you likely see on her fur (besides the live fleas) and when they come into contact with water they turn red, like blood. Your cat is so infested that you notice red bloody water. This is a very serious situation for her health and well being, not to mention yours and everyone who comes into your house.

The only good thing to do with a flea collar is put a couple in your vacuum bag so when you vacuum you kill any that are sucked up. And vacuum like mad, remember there are flea eggs are larvae EVERYWHERE in your home and furniture.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also I don't want to trim her nails if what you mean by that is declawing her cause that's STRAIGHT UP WRONG! Cats need their claws mostly for defending themselves, anyway thanks for telling me!
Yes declawing is horrendous! You won't find anyone here recommending it! What was suggested is regular nail trimming- removing just the tips. When people say clip/ trim nails they do not mean declawing! There are many many videos on how to trim cats' nails online. It is not harmful and actually is good for them since nails can grow too long and curl around digging into the toe-pads.
If you bring your kitty to the vet for a check to treat the fleas they will trim the nails and they can show you how to do it.

If you are getting a lot of blood in the bath from fleas it sounds like she is overloaded and I agree with previous posters. She's going to need treatment and she should be seen by a vet so they can evaluate her for her overall wellbeing and then recommend deworming if necessary.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, my cat does scratch and bite her scabs, but we recently just put this stuff on her scabs that's supposed to help heal it but so far I'm not sure if it's working, I really hope that she's fine, but for some reason the rest of my family are not that concerned, I'm starting to get a feeling that soon she might DIE because of her fleas (And I know that can actually happen) Sometimes we flea bomb the house to make sure there's no fleas in the house but then again that doesn't help get rid of my cats fleas. Also if fleas really like clean animals why would they be on Brownie if we only give her a bath like once a month? Also I don't want to trim her nails if what you mean by that is declawing her cause that's STRAIGHT UP WRONG! Cats need their claws mostly for defending themselves, anyway thanks for telling me!
Trimming is not the same as declawing. You just take off the very tip of the nail, similar to clipping your own nails. Avoid going too short so you don't hit the quick. It's a good practice to protect your furniture, your animal's skin, and in some cases overgrown nails (where the nail curls under and into the foot pad).

Treating only the house and not the "bringer of fleas" isn't going to stop your flea problem. It might slow them down from getting to your family, but they are there. Every time an animal goes outside, they are prone to picking up fleas, especially if there are other animals in the area. Your cat is spreading the fleas in and around your home, so unless you get them off her and keep them off, you're just wasting time and energy on flea baths and house bombs. Fleas don't care and will go for your cat, clean or not, however removing flea dirt (droppings) and natural grease just makes it easier to get to the skin. What everyone is trying to tell you is that right now, you are treating a few symptoms here and there instead of the actual problem.

Does your cat ever go to the vet for regular check ups? It would be a very good idea, especially when exposed to the outdoors. A vet can help trim nails if you can't, make sure your cat is up to date on vaccinations, and may give you and your family some advice on the fleas if they are not willing to listen to a bunch of random internet people.

Lyndley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No we haven't really used any flea treatment and I'm not even sure if we can afford it, the most we've ever really been able to do about her fleas is giving her flea baths but sometimes afterwards there is lots of blood in the bath (Which is probably from her fleas biting her) I'm not sure if she is allergic to fleas, once we tried getting her a flea collar, but after I searched on the internet and found so much stuff saying about how flea collars can kill cats we decided to get rid of the flea collar and not risk her dying from the flea collar in case if it was true that cats can die from flea collars
Try the flea medicine your vet recommends mine is called advantec or something like that