Storm's "brother" Is Crying For Him Constantly - What Can I Do?

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted on the Rainbow Bridge forum earlier this morning that we lost our big fluffy black kitty Storm. He has two "brothers" (from other mothers), one a year older (Apollo) and one two years younger (Romeo). Although Romeo and Storm were best buddies, Romeo basically kept vigil over Storm on Sunday night when he wasn't feeling that good. So I think he knows something happened.

Apollo, our big fluffy butterscotch kitty, I don't think he quite knows what to do. He's a bit more vocal, and he cries a lot when he wants something. Right now it seems, he wants Storm back (don't we all!) so he has been crying all afternoon throughout the house.

I sit with him and pet him and talk soothingly to him as best as I can, but is there anything else I can do to help him realize Storm isn't coming back? :(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:.

It's natural for other animals in the household to grieve, and each one will do it differently and for a different amount of time. Maybe something in this article will help you out with how to help Apollo: Do Cats Mourn?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you! That was a very helpful article. I have been trying to keep a regular routine for them, but maybe giving just a couple more treats (I dont know what you're talking about, they're so not spoiled!) I also plugged in some of those Feliway comfort zone things in the areas that the cats frequent the most. I've heard it helps calm them.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Poor Apollo. I find it best to bring home the deceased so the others can see for themselves. But I live in the county so I have burial options.
I also do "grieving ceremony" in front of the other cats. I call their name and cry and tell the other kitties that the deceased is gone. Some of the kitties will try to offer comfort, others will run off, some merely watch. In a few days or so, they seem to all realize the truth and healing begins.