Storing Dry Food

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick background:
I have 5 fantastic cats. Before job issues popped up a year ago, they got canned food twice a day, with a small amount of dry food as a snack. Now we are at wet food once a day, with dry food out for free feeding. Not ideal, but it is what it is right now.

I also have two fantastic kids, and I'm due to have a baby any time in the next 6 weeks. (Due Christmas day, but I've been having unprecedented troubles this time, so he's coming early... but hopefully not too early...)

Ok.

So my kids are in charge of refilling the cat food bowls. I cannot use a simple continuous feeder, as the cats all decide it's not fresh enough and turn their picky little noses up at it (and we can't afford a fancy one). Besides, the kids enjoy feeding them and changing their water, and I think it's good for them to help with care.

So my ACTUAL QUESTION is HERE: For those who store a moderate amount of dry cat food (like 10-15lbs worth), what containers do you use? The bags just don't seem to keep it fresh long enough.

Looking for any suggestions to help streamline this process!
Thanks all!

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use a vittles vault. They’re relatively cheap on Petco.com or chewy. I only keep on hand enough for the cats to consumer in two weeks as oils and things can go rancid after exposure to air after two weeks or so and are considered stale. So I just have the smallest one they sell. I usually rotate two small bags at a time for my cats. I open them, roll them back up and either lay them inside the vault upside down so they can’t unroll or use clothes hangers. Then I close the vault. It has an air tight seal so no air can get inside other than what’s in there before I close it. They have bigger sizes though. And you could get a size up and simply clip the bag just after all air is removed from it then put it in the vault.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have even used a rubbermaid tote.
We have a vittles vault for the dog food(stored indoors). $20 at Petsmart for a 50 lb container.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't feed dry food but I know there are pet food storage containers like this one: Pet Food Containers

You can find similar containers at pet stores and online. Any sort of storage container with secure lid works, like a Rubbermaid tote.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would walk through a Dollar Tree if you have one in the area. You can divide a bag of kibble into a few containers, so that only the container in use is exposed to air every day. The ones "in waiting" should stay fresh longer. Small containers like this would also be easy for the kids to manage.

These are Dollar Tree products:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use two containers sort of like these. IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container & Scoop Combo

The larger one goes in the garage while the smaller one is in the house for daily use. It gives me enough room in the garage that I usually will buy two bags when there is a sale and store them in original packaging in the big one. Then fill the smaller one as needed. I figure since I am getting in the larger one less it keeps the larger amount fresher longer while the smaller one only exposes a smaller amount to air frequently. Plus the smaller one is easier to store in the house.

Really, any sort of air tight and bug proof container will work. We occasionally have possums and raccoons sneak into the garage (along with rats and mice) so having something a little more critter proof is the reason I don't have the dollar store containers out there.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can divide a bag of kibble into a few containers, so that only the container in use is exposed to air every day. The ones "in waiting" should stay fresh longer.
They'll stay especially fresh if you put an oxygen scavenger packet in each of the 'in waiting' ones. Just remember to take it out once you start using the container.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Top Paw® Airtight Pet Food Storage Container | dog Storage & Scoops | PetSmart I use a small one of these will hold I believe a 12 lb bag of cat food. It's in the pantry so it's not exposed to light all the time. For larger quantities of stuff that take longer to go through- have a 25 lb vittle vault Gamma2 Vittles Vault Plus Pet Food Storage downstairs for bird food and just bought the vittle vault junior Gamma2 Vittles Vault Junior Pet Food Storage, 4 to 6-lb for keeping a supply of bird food under their cage. I was keeping it in a ziploc container in a brown paper bag *keep the light out*, but it was time to upgrade.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine any airtight container would be fine... doesn’t need to be made especially for pet food. Seems like a marketing scheme. I second dollar store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have stored things in plastic bins before (just like regular ol' bins), and everything seems to get a plasticy smell- which is why I was wondering what everyone else uses :)
I also have to make sure the process is easy enough for a 7 year old to help the 4 year old with!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stored things in plastic bins before (just like regular ol' bins), and everything seems to get a plasticy smell- which is why I was wondering what everyone else uses :)
I also have to make sure the process is easy enough for a 7 year old to help the 4 year old with!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Good point about plastic. I use a glass airtight container for my kitten’s freeze dried foods.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
menards sells food grade 5 gallon buckets and an airtight lid to go with. It holds about 16 pounds
I was looking at buckets at Lowe's a couple weeks ago and noticed they have a smaller "food grade" bucket (2.5 or 3 gallons) with air tight lid was around $5.00.

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was looking at buckets at Lowe's a couple weeks ago and noticed they have a smaller "food grade" bucket (2.5 or 3 gallons) with air tight lid was around $5.00.
Ooo, that looks good. There also is a 2 gallon version, if I needed to go smaller. Kids should be able to open those- we'll take a trip out there and find out! Thanks!

LeiLana80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
menards sells food grade 5 gallon buckets and an airtight lid to go with. It holds about 16 pounds
This too! I didn't realize there were food grade buckets out there, lol.
Our extra buckets are the empty cat litter buckets! :biggrin: (those things are extremely handy!)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooo, that looks good. There also is a 2 gallon version, if I needed to go smaller. Kids should be able to open those- we'll take a trip out there and find out! Thanks!
I didn't remember the size...they only had one size, so it must have been 2 gallons.