Storing Dry Food In Fridge

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
First off, I don't know if I put this in the right section. I also tried looking up previous posts and didn't find any, but I didn't look too hard. I just typed in dry food in fridge to see what came up and most of it was about freeze-dried food.

Lately it has been hot, and we just put our air conditioner in. I should have probably thought of this beforehand, but I could have swore I read about a vet that said it would be better to put dry food in the fridge because it won't mold as quickly. And after thinking of microbiology I thought yeah, that makes sense it is colder in the fridge. It should slow down bacteria growth.

I put this 8 lb bag in the fridge and pushed the air out each time and kept the original seal closed plus folded it with a clip. I noticed after a while that the bag got a little wet from condensation so I turned down the fridge temp a little bit. So now there is no more condensation on the outside, but I think it got on the inside too, which I didn't think of. This is a pretty new bag. When I brought out the amount that I feed my cat it will leave a little bit of water on the bottom of the bowl like she was licking around the bowl (which she doesn't in this one, I keep it in one bowl and pour onto a plate)

So after all that information, do you think that with the condensation getting inside the bag in the fridge, that it would get moldy? I regret putting it in the fridge, but with the temperature changing so much I didn't have another place that was cool and dry.

Right now it seems fine and I will keep the bag and bowl of dry kibble in the fridge and only give the small amount she will eat at different times.

Has anyone else put dry kibble in the fridge? Any advice?

Thanks all,
Jokingly.... I wish I could lay it out on a sheet pan and put some of it in the oven to dry it out again.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard that if you add water to dry food, that it easily and quickly gets bacteria. Most people don't leave dry food that is mixed with wet food (or water) out more than 30 min or so.

But then, if it's in the refrigerator, I would think the bacteria would not be alive in there? If it was my bag of food, I would continue feeding it, but try and not leave it out all day and feed it as one meal? Then maybe that moisture wouldn't cause problems. I've never put dry food in the refrigerator, so I can't speak from personal experience.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never put dry kibble in the fridge, but if condensation is happening would probably stop doing it. Everything will mold eventually with enough condensation. Could you possibly put the bulk in the freezer, then pull out smaller portions at a time (like a week's worth) and feed from that instead? Or portion into small containers right from the start so it isn't all getting open and closed constantly, allowing condensation to happen?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the future I am going to buy an airtight container to put the bulk and will have a smaller container for the day I think. Yeah, I was thinking it would eventually mold, should I just buy another bag? I hate to do it cause it is the prescription stuff...but then again, if my cat gets sick that is even more money and worry.

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the future I am going to buy an airtight container to put the bulk and will have a smaller container for the day I think. Yeah, I was thinking it would eventually mold, should I just buy another bag? I hate to do it cause it is the prescription stuff...but then again, if my cat gets sick that is even more money and worry.
Maybe just buy a new bag. It could seem a little paranoid but...I think that the peace of mind would be worth it if I was in that situation.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know who said dry food should go in the fridge, but it is not true. Unless it is freeze-dried raw (which prescription diets never are), it should be kept at room temperature in a pantry or cabinet. Bacteria love water, so wet food is where they would reside.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in arizona when I was feeding dry, so humidity never really got to anything. I never left food in the bag. I use airtight containers and would keep it in the pantry, basement, or the freezer. When I had to buy the boys 17 lb bags of food, I just bought a larger airtight container.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are right on with airtight containers. But just leave in a cool dry place. Not the fridge. I think of it like coffee which everyone THINKS you should put it in the fridge or freezer to store but that is not a good idea due to moisture, and also because it absorbs the odors in the fridge, sort of like baking soda does.

Plus if you are storing anything that long, cat food or coffee, maybe you are buying too much at once. Its not fresh anymore regardless how long you store it properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyashasu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah as r-kins said I am probably going to be safe and get another bag of food instead. Thanks everyone for your comments, I appreciate it! I won't store it in the fridge again.