Storage Suggestions For Raw Food Mix

jstie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I make up 6 lb batches of my raw mix at a time. I have been dividing the batch up into 5 inexpensive Ziploc-brand plastic cartons and freezing them, then thawing out one box at a time, which lasts about 4 days. I'm finding that after a few bouts of freezer / dishwasher, these cartons crack and split. Plus the crevices around the edges where the lids and lips of the carton snap together are really hard to get clean. Any suggestions for good containers to store this stuff in? It's pretty sloppy, so I don't think freezer bags will work. Thanks!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're okay with spending a little bit of money, I find these glass baby storage containers to be amazing. They even have a measuring scale on the side that makes it easy to split batches into desired amounts.

They also have plastic ones that are cheaper but I would prefer to spend a little extra for the glass ones because it's safer.

Oh and they come with these really handy storage trays that are stackable and don't take up too much freezer space.

Edit: I realize this only makes sense if you have one cat and don't make a lot of raw food at a time, but check out some of the other baby food freezing options on amazon because there are cheaper alternatives too.

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep a cardboard box in the freezer with about 24 lbs of food in ice cube trays. Every day and a half we put an ice cube tray in the fridge. If I had to have the food in the freezer longer than a month, I would just end up putting all the ice cubes into freezer zipper bags.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use glass, wide-mouth mason jars. You can get them from Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart

Just make sure to leave a couple inches of free space at the top when you fill them up so when the food expands, it doesn't expand too much to break the glass.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using those Glad or Ziploc plastic tubs too, but the store brand, and had the same problems with them cracking after a while. I started saving the liver tubs. They're stronger, and don't even crack if you drop them out of the freezer.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still using glad brand plastic tubs and having the same struggles with cracking and difficulty cleaning the crevices. Good to learn about all these alternatives!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use silicone baby food trays with lids. I get the ones with 1oz compartments for easy portion control, but I've seen them with 1.5oz, 2oz, and 3oz compartments as well. Since it's flexible silicone, I can just pop out what I need for one meal (being in small portions lets them defrost quickly) and it's very easy to clean.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This thread has suggestions: How do you pack and store your raw food?

Freezing the food in silicone ice cube trays works well. You can pop the frozen cubes out and then store them in freezer bags or containers. You can get 2 oz silicone ice cube trays instead of the standard size one.