Stopping three month kitten suckling the other cats

Annoellyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four cats, one 3 month old, two 4 month old, and a three year old adult. The 3 month old will not stop suckling the two four month old males! I'm not sure what else to try.

When I see happening I just pick him up and remove him. Especially at night. I do this over and over and over. I try and get him to lay with me instead but he always goes back to try and suckle. After 10 or more times he will eventually will lay on his own or with me for a few hours.

He's really cuddly and playful, very social kitten. I've had him since he was two months old. I had his siblings with him for a bit and we kept him.

Poseidon one of the four month old cats is getting a little irritated spot from the suckling.

I've considered trying a cone but I don't want to impede his ability to clean himself either.

How have you guys dealt with this issue?

MysticPisces

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure he’s 3 months old? Most kittens are done nursing by 7-8 weeks. Also if he’s suckling he’s probably hungry. Have you tried feeding him when you catch him doing this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annoellyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's eating dry food normally with no abnormal poops and for a while they were getting wet food every day that he really liked eating and was still doing it then to.
We still give wet food every second day and he chows down but as soon as the cats are all cuddling, he's suckling.
And they have 24/7 access to dry kitten kibble.

Annoellyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry forgot to add! He's 3.6 pounds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You might want to consider buying him a suckling blanket/toy. You can search for them on the internet to see which one(s) you might like to try. Here is just one example:

1572025000298.png

Annoellyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will look into it. I took him to the vet and they said he doesn't so appear too young but I've had him for a month now so they said it's hard to tell. They said weightwise hrs consistent with a three month old cat.