Stopping Steroid for IBD in Diabetic Cat

msbogwan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long does a steroid (prednisolone) stay in the cat's system after stopping? My senior girl, Kiki, was prednisolone 5mg. daily for several years for IBD until she became diabetic. We have weaned her off the steroid a week ago and is now getting Cerenia every other day for vomiting. How long before the steroid is out of her system and we might see a change in her blood sugar? Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry no one has yet responded. I think because the answer can vary based on each individual cat, not many may feel comfortable trying to predict positive results with the discontinuation of the steroid. I do know, from what I have read, that usually an insulin regimen is given for a period of time afterward. What did your vet say about the timeline? When will she be checked again for her glucose level?
Is Prednisone Induced Diabetes Reversible | DiabetesTalk.Net

Hoping my response might help to elicit others who know more than I do to comment.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long before the steroid is out of her system and we might see a change in her blood sugar?
My perspective would be that if your vet suggested to come back in for a blood draw in a few weeks, the results will give you an idea of how things are. If your vet didn't say anything, you will want to talk with them.