Stopping prednisolone cold turkey

jennlea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been on .25ml of prednisolone once a day for only a week for IBS. She hasn't done well on it so the vet told me to just stop giving it to her. Does that seem right? I've heard that it's dangerous to just stop cold turkey, but she said that it would be fine since it was a low dose for just a short amount of time. Anyone else's cat ever had to stop prednisolone cold turkey?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! The general rule with pred is to taper off. Cautions about this are quite strong if the dose was high, although your cat was on a low dose. We cannot discuss dosage with you on TCS, but you might have another discussion with your vet about what to watch for if your cat reacts to having the pred taken away suddenly. In humans, the side effects are generalized weakness and everything that might go with that, such as loss of appetite. Hopefully others will reply if they have had the same experience with their cat.

IBDKitties – Helping Save Lives…One Paw at a Time

You mentioned IBS as the cause for the pred, but this website may provide some help.