Stopping Cat from Urinating on New Couch Before it Starts

bwilson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I have 3 cats one of which we have always had on and off litter box issues with. We have had him since he was a kitten and he's about 6 years old now. When we were really having problems I must have read every piece of literature on the subject to figure out how to get the issues to stop. We have a litter box for each cat +1 additional one and we scoop them 3 times a day! We experimented with litter and finally found the one he likes.

When he was a kitten he would always pee on our couch I must have cleaned it a million times with enzyme cleaners. When we moved into our current home we brought the couch with us and put it in our basement and would put the cushions in a teepee shape when not in use. This worked for a while but eventually I gave up and got rid of the couch altogether (2 years ago from present day)

About a year went by after we got rid of the couch and we had zero accidents, life was good! I thought we finally got passed the issue. Then last year we got our basement redone and we had a guest staying with us so we set up an air mattress in our newly done basement close to where the couch had been and boom he had his first accident in a year and urinated on the air mattress. I got rid of the air mattress and once again a year went by with no issues.

My wife and I have been terrified to buy furniture for the basement ever since but we spent $10k to have it redone and have barely been able to enjoy it. We finally ordered new couches and are going to give it another try. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on introducing the new furniture? In the same time span outlined above we got a new couch for our living room and had zero issues. The litter boxes are also located in the basement a few rooms over from where we are going to attempt to put the couch. It's just so strange that he goes so long without issue but then has an accident out of no where. I throughly cleaned our whole basement with enzyme cleaner before we laid down our new floor and we've had rugs down there since we got it redone and have had zero issues with those. Maybe I'm being paranoid but I'm convinced he's going to pee on these couches for some reason.

Going to try and spend as much time as possible on the couch early on to get our scent into and will most likely buy a waterproof couch cover but I'm. not ready to deal with more litter box issues. Any advice insight would be appreciated!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try spraying the couch down with feliway or no scratch spray. Reapply every week. Then I would get a cat box and put it right next to the couch (put his used/scooped litter in it.) If he will use a covered litter box, then get one.

Also I would admit defeat and put a litter box on each level of your home & accept that you may need a litter box in your living

I’m not sure how you clean leather or if it is safe to use an enzyme cleaner. If he pees though, an enzyme cleaner will be necessary to get out the pee smell so he doesn’t keep marking on the couch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bwilson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try spraying the couch down with feliway or no scratch spray. Reapply every week. Then I would get a cat box and put it right next to the couch (put his used/scooped litter in it.) If he will use a covered litter box, then get one.

Also I would admit defeat and put a litter box on each level of your home & accept that you may need a litter box in your living

I’m not sure how you clean leather or if it is safe to use an enzyme cleaner. If he pees though, an enzyme cleaner will be necessary to get out the pee smell so he doesn’t keep marking on the couch.
The feliway spray is definitely worth a try and I wouldnt mind adding a covered litter box next to the couch. I'm not sure if I'm ready to add more to the floors above simply because he doesn't have accidents up there its strictly in the basement.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eventually once he is settled with no couch accidents for two months; you can slowly move the litter box to a less visable part of the living room (you may need to move the box little by little, over weeks, months.)

Some cats get nervous about other cats in the house attacking them while they use the litter box. So they only want yo use uncovered litter boxes.

They sell litter boxes that look like a bench or table or you could build a simple cabinet that fits around/over his litter box (with a entrance kitty door.) That way it won’t be so obvious that there is s

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I second adding 1 if not more litter boxes to the room with the new couches. If he is used to a covered box, then that might work! You can see these extra boxes as temporary, as danteshuman said. But, better to have an unsightly litter box for a few months than a urine stained couch :(

I think your idea about making the couch smell like you is great! Also, if you can make it smell like him too, that will help. Maybe putting his fav bed or blanket on the couch, or spreading pheromones as suggested above.

A cat tree really helped my cat during end her year(s) of illegal urination, so if you are in the market for one, you could put one in a fun place by the couches. Scratching posts/cardboard scratchers/chin scratchers strategically placed around the couch can help too.

Feeding your cat on the couch (or just treating him) can help him create a positive association with the new furniture, as can playing with him on or by it. Spreading catnip on it can also do the same thing.

And yes, those waterproof covers are a great idea! Especially since the basement probably isn't your main hang out area, it will be important to keep the furniture safe until you are sure you can trust him.

I think it's great to take all of these precautions, but I also wouldn't give too much weight to his last accident. House guests can be a huge trigger for cats with litter box issues, and it sounds like he's mostly doing great! Good work with him!!