Stopped using the litterbox?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Went and bought some Cat Attract litter today. He does fine with using the box for pooping now but every few days will pee outside. The roomates want me to put him down but that is NOT happening. I would never do that unless the cat was suffering and in alot of pain and it needed to be done.

He is a very loving happy cat who has no other medical issues and I believe we will be moving as soon as I can find a place. Until then I am tempted to bring the litter into my room and close the door while I am at work. Not trusting these people at all at the moment =(

I think bringing him into your room is a good idea, both for the safety of the cat and the comfort of your roommates. I DO NOT agree with them but I'd be really really upset if I were in their shoes too- cat pee smells bad and I can understand not wanting that smell permeating my home- especially if it were not my cat. They probably also get frustrated if he pees when you are at work as they have the uncomfortable choice of cleaning a mess that they have nothing to do with (and, depending what they do, maybe don't have time to deal with) or waiting till you get home and living with the smell.  I get where they are coming from and think it would be kind of you (and again, maybe safer for Oreo) if he is confined at least while you're not there.

ETA: Do you have just one box?? Have yo thought of getting him another and seeing if he just wants a different one to pee in?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not enjoy cat pee smell either, and I spray the cleaner(supposed to be good for airbourne smells as well) before I leave for work and when I get home to attempt to be rid of it.

They also said they could smell it when I used the oder alert litter, wich has baking soda for smells, and scooped every day. I can smell it now when he goes outside but I couldn't when he was using it regularly. Maybe my nose isn't as good as I thought. Still scooping every day.

My work schedule usually has me home before they get back, so I have time to go clean and spray but maybe once every couple of weeks it will be another hour or so until I get back. I have told them about the cleaner, it is under the sink with the other cleaners, and that it can be sprayed into the air to take care of the smell if I'm not around to clean up but they don't want to. That just confuses me because if there was a smell I didn't like and something to spray to get rid of it, the spray would be used. Not like they have to clean anything, just use it like you would bathroom spray.

The litter issues are not the only reason I'm moving, but they are going away. Just seems to be taking a little longer than hoped.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'm confused again- are you not using an enzyme cleaner? Just spraying something won't help- even if you can't still smell it the cat can.  You need to take an enzyme cleaner to the actual spot where he has peed, first dabbing the pee to get as much of that up as you can, then putting on some enzyme cleaner, then dabbing that up, and then (usually) repeating before finally going over it with water.  Someone with more experience than me can maybe chime in about this- I have (fortunately!) only had to clean up cat pee of my resident cats twice and my fosters are always on thick layers of towels which I usually wash with special laundry detergent and frequently discard.

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm using the nature's miracle enzyme cleaner, but I have a spray bottle(still of the same Nature's Miracle cleaner but the 3 in 1 variety) as well for airbourne smells.

That's bascially the process I use to clean up, just without the water at the end. Got a blacklight today when I went to pick up litter and am taking a look around with that in a bit.

Last edited:

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just went and carried Oreo to the pan to see what he thought of the new litter. He took a sniff and hoped right in the box and peed.

Has anyone used the Cat attract litter before?

Cleaned the spot again and a few others the light revealed, but used water at the end. Hopefully the water helps!