Stop Trax or Group One Welcome Litter Mat

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using a towel underneathe the litter box in the livingroom to help protect my carpet. I have another litter box in the kitchen but since the floor is made of linoleum, I don't worry too much about the litter that gets tracked on that floor. I would like to get something that may reduce the amount of litter being tracked by my cats. I already have high sided litter boxes; one hooded and the other not hooded for the time being.

Does anyone have any experience with either Kitty Maid's Stop Trax or Group One's Litter Welcome Mat? Do they work? Are they worth the money? The only difference I can see between the two products is the Stop Trax has interlocking trays.

Any thoughts?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know either of those products, but here is the one I've been using for years...
http://www.fourpawsonly.ca/canadian_...Harnesses.php3

My current beasts don't use the boxes as much as earlier ones because they prefer to pee al fresco. However, it was in response to a major tracking problem that I first bought one of these mats, and my tracking problem disappeared immediately. One box is on linoleum, the other on indoor/outdoor carpet.

Good luck.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used stop trax in the past with good results. I can't comment on the other product, haven't used that one

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Stop trax looks good to me, however.. it also looks like something you could get for MUCH cheaper from a hardware store.. like a grating that would go in a lighting fixture or something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: I did purchase the Welcome Mat by Group One and the cats have been using it now for 3 weeks. The cats don't mind walking on the grids and the litter does fall into the tray. It really does work. My cats also seem to like using the mat as a scratching pad.

philbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had seen the litter welcome mat at petsmart over the weekend when buying worlds best cat litter, but was planning to just get a booda Clean Step litter mat. turns out, after ordering it online, they called to let me know it had been discontinued. they asked it would be ok to send the nearly identical other than color No Track. what ended up arriving today was a van ness trackless, which has the rubber "pins" sticking up. we had that exact mat in the past, which didn't do a great job of holding the litter and wasn't comfortable to step on... but with the cost of return shipping, it's almost not worth returning...

so having read about the welcome mat and stop trax during the week, i decided to return to petsmart this evening and get the welcome mat. it was $13, which is better than the $17.50 the stop trax would be after shipping. stoptrax seems to really want to sell multiple sqares, but the positioning of our litter box in the bathroom would require irregular sized grids, not perfect 1' by 1'...

hopefully this works well... kirby sometimes has the habit of jumping out to the side of his litter box onto the toliet lid, rather than stepping forward and out like a normal kitty...

cheers,
phil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I faced a similar dilema when trying to choose between the two litter mats. I have 2 litter boxes. One is hooded in the kitchen and I only needed one mat. There is almost no litter in front of that box. Most of it falls into the mat (or tray). The litter box in the livingroom is uncovered and I only have one mat there, but the cats sometimes don't go out the side with the litter mat.

Overall, I remain very pleased with my purchase. I may get more mats to surround the uncovered box. Even though each mat comes with 4 anti-skid rubber knobs (you put them under the mat), I highly recommend placing rubber matting (used under a throw rug) to keep it from sliding on tile.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made something like that for my litter boxes and it works quite well. The secret is placing it so the cat has to walk on it. It's not comfortable to walk on, so if the cat can jump over or walk around, it will. Either covering a large enough area or restricted access should do the trick.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kittie's litter box is located on carpeting. At an office supply store, I bought a large thick plastic mat, that was designed to be used under an office chair with rollers. The litter drops off of their paws when they jump out of their box instead of on my carpet. I use a wisk broom & dust pan to sweep up the litter. It work great for us.

ben bengal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StopTrax is a 2 part modular design that works with any Cat and Kitty litter and any Kitty litter box.  It come on 12 squares that interlock so you can use as much or as few as you need.  Also unlike any other litter containment systems the retrack is ZERO. which cannot be said of any other system.  Further StopTrax is incredible durable so if you need to walk on it, it will not break!

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just keep sweeping after him. I don't mind. As long as there's litter in the box and he can use it when he needs to w/out a problem. Problems are worse than spilled litter.