stop the whining about wanting to go outside

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry this is a bit long, but it's a weirdly specific problem.

I take one of my cats outside every few days when the weather is nice so he can get some fresh air and run around in the backyard. He started out fine with this, but recently he has become  unbearably whiny while inside. I used to leave the back window open so he could sniff the outside air, but now he's taken advantage of that to whine in the most pathetic way possible (he's part Siamese, so he knows how to hit those really whiny notes) until I get so frustrated I have to close the window. He will honestly run from the back window to wherever I am every 5 minutes, whining his butt off. It's like having a child who just learned that crying gets him special treatment, only I almost never cave in so I don't know where he got that idea. Any movement by me anywhere in the apartment leads to him sprinting over from the back window (closed or open, he still hovers there on warmer days), running over to me and trying to lead me out the back door. If I stop in my bedroom or the bathroom, he comes in an whines as if I'm teasing him. The worst is when I have to go to the kitchen, where the back door is.

I don't understand why he is so whiny and adamant about going outside when I only let him out at most every other day for 10 - 20 minutes. I understand he loves it and I would never stop taking him outside, but is there anything I can do to make him a little less whiny? He even comes up to me when I'm at my computer and tries to ram his head into my hand, just so he can get my attention and try to lead me to the back door. I am hoping someone here has an idea, because he is incorrigible to my bag of tricks.

I also think he's started finding ways to get me to let him out more often. I always feel bad because he is doesn't like to play as much as my other cat. He'll stare at whatever toy I try and maybe will bat a paw at a string, even though he was very active and would literally sprint for 15 minutes during playtime as he chased Da Bird. He stopped being active when I got my other cat, who is much more aggressive in chasing toys during playtime. That's why I liked the idea of taking him outside. I felt better about him not being active during playtime because he was still getting exercise. Also, my other cat doesn't really like being outside so it's a special thing for me and him. I think he figured that out and is now purposely avoiding playing so he can guilt me into letting him outside, because he has been trying even less at playtime. As in, he won't even follow the toys with his eyes anymore. I know I'm probably seeing a pattern where there isn't one, but it honestly feels like he's manipulating me into letting him outside all the time. BTW, the same toys he has no interest in while indoors are transformed into the coolest playthings of all time the second there's no roof overhead. Heck, I started tossing a pebble around and he went crazy for it outside.

Last edited:

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I almost never cave in so I don't know where he got that idea. 
Bingo. It only takes once for the behaviour to be reinforced. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd set up a very regular schedule of when you take him out (same time everyday, for example) and be consistent. And absolutely don't cave at other times when he's "whining". You'll need nerves of steel, and it may require a fair bit of time to extinguish the old behaviour, but hang in there. Once he figures out the pattern to these outside excursions, he'll be able to focus his anticipation to those times instead of just randomly whenever. Cause remember, cats live by the motto "it never hurts to ask for what you want".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry, that was bad wording on my part. When I said almost never cave in, I meant I almost never give him attention and come to the back window when he's whining. Him whining has never once led to him getting let outside. I am very adamant about that. I fell a little too far into my screaming baby analogy, where caving in is simply giving attention since that's all babies want. I don't think that's what he's after, since he whines just as much when I go back there to see if he just wants to be pet.

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Male cat right? We are going through a similar issue and it may not be that he wants to play outside as much as the fact that you have expanded his territory and he's feeling anxiety over wanting to be in it and defend it, especially since he shares territory with another cat in the house.

Mine is a male neutered feral we took in. We did it gradually letting him decide when he wanted to be inside. He started shortening his trips out on his own once he figured out the house was less stressfull than the outside was. After a while, we just kept him in because he had parasites and other stuff we had to get him cleared of. During that time, his scent wore off in the yard and other animals and other ferals started moving about.

We too decided to let him out once a week for a few hours with us on the weekends and this is when our problem began. He whines to be let out the next day after, and his anxiety level for the next 3-4 days is unbelievable because he's confused about where his territorial boundaries are now, and he stresses that the outside is unprotected (unmarked, unpatrolled.) He paces the house, marks his litter boxes, and patrolls the doors and windows, nervous and on edge. If we keep him in, like on rainy weekends, we don't go through this weekly stress out deal.  

I think male cats suffer with territorial anxiety more than female cats, and outside, even though they enjoy the heck out of it, is very stressfull in a boundary issue sort of way at the same time. Not to mention any break in a cats routine can have a negative affect because they don't understand what's changed and why, especially if they don't make the rules.

We are going to keep our fuzz man in for a while because the "smells" he doesn't like are starting to aggitate him more and more. Each time we let him out, the recovery and decompression time is taking longer and longer.

Just food for thought. I don't know how to fix my issue either, but I know the stress can't be good for him, so, it seems keeping him in where he can be "certain" of his territorial boundaries keeps him calm. It's just a deduction based on watching him, but it's the best we've got right now.

Good luck with yours. Keep us posted.  

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Letting an indoor cat out can be like opening Pandora's box.  They realise how nice outside is and want to go out a lot.  Mine have a cat-proof back garden and a cat flap and it's surprising how often they want to go out, and when it's bad weather I get the 'fix the weather' whining.

I can't work out if it's safe for him to be unattended in the yard e.g. if it's cat proof.  If it is, give him free run.

And think of being him.  All of a sudden you get to go somewhere new, novel and exciting - all things you as a cat love.  But you are only just getting used to being out there and you get dragged back into somewhere really boring.  Where would you want to be?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cat fence the yard, build an enclosure or harness train him. Most cats quickly learn that harness = outside, no harness = inside. Or just be firm and keep him in at all times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cat fence the yard, build an enclosure or harness train him. Most cats quickly learn that harness = outside, no harness = inside. Or just be firm and keep him in at all times.
Unfortunately, I live in an apartment in Chicago so am unable to make drastic changes to the backyard. I was afraid it was something like this where the only option was to allow him an avenue for being outside more often. I guess i will just have to put up with the whining until I get a place of my own and can ensure he would be properly contained if I let him outside alone. Right now, we have a normal fence, but he can and has easily jumped over that onto a tree that hangs over it. He was scared silly and froze there while I ran over and plucked him off, but I don't want to see what he'd do a second time.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with my female...she slipped out a couple of times and I grabbed her before she got too far.  Now its' up at 5am, her usual time, to eat/pee and used to be back to bed but now its' running trhough the house, across the bed to get my attention...."I'm ready to go out, dummy! cry". I drift in and out of sleep until she wins. NO OUTLASTING HER...SHE ALWAYS WINS...about 7-7:30 am outside but this seems to be good for all day.  I'm retired so Dolly gets a 1-2 hour outing.

We also leave the windows up in the nice weather but doesn't satisfy her...

I think part of the key is what is his reaction after you take him out?  If after the outing he is calm, feed me and a nap with no further crying till the next day (this is out cats new pattern) then you might try getting a halter with a leash loop and take him out briefly more often before you go to work or what ever.

Yes, I know she trained me, not the other way around but she can out last me in the crying/whinning category every time.

We bought a CrazyKfarm (TM) halter for Dolly...seems well made and light material for summer/hot weather.  Has big velcro straps for a good fit and quality. 

Just a thought.

Yes, I tried  ear plugs but missed too many phone calls.

Remember, as Dr. Phil says "you teach them how to treat you" of course he was speaking of people but it works for our cats as well.