Stop cat from going through screen!

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, my 1 year old cat poet just bursted through my window screen. She saw a bird and just ran right through it. I had to chase her back in the house and my heart is still pounding. I will now keep my windows mostly closed but is there any pet proof screens that you recommend or any other tips. I am really shaken up. Thank you.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have access to Amazon? I think I remember that they have screen frames for sale, but it sounds like your screens are old and need to be replaced, or need to be reset into the rubber gasket that holds the screen in place around the frame.

Hopefully you find a workable solution so you can leave the windows open :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She flew from the edge of a chair that was about a foot away paws out then head first and broke the screen so there is a bug while in it the screen itself stayed intact. I just ordered a new better screen but am still so worried.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
PetScreen®: Dog & Cat Resistant Screening - Phifer

There is cat proof screening material. The link above is an example, not suggesting that you need to buy this one, but you will probably find options available. If it is more of a frame problem, those can be replaced as was suggested above. You might consider both if your cat is intent on getting out or chasing insects.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is cat proof screening material.
:yeah:

I put cat proof screen in our patio door, shortly after we adopted our cat, Casper.
The day after I put it in, Casper was sitting by the patio door, as usual, watching squirrels and chipmunks on the back porch. One came close to the screen and he pounced at it. The cat hit the screen, full force, and bounced off like a trampoline!

Of course, he walked away with that look that cats always get... "I meant to do that..." ;)

Here's a video we took a little while after that incident:

You can tell that Casper knows the screen is there and, when he goes after the chipmunk, he flares off before he hits it.

Unless Casper hits that screen hard enough to knock it completely out of the door frame, he's not getting through.
I have seen a couple of outdoor cats, as big as Casper, come to our patio and climb up the screen from the outside.
If it's strong enough to hold the weight of a full grown tomcat, it's strong enough to stop Casper from busting through.

You can buy pet resistant screen at your local home center like Home Depot. It comes in rolls and you can install it with just hand tools. A utility knife, a screwdriver and a special wheel-shaped installation tool. (Which you can also get at the home center.)
It took me less than an hour to install the screen, including the time it took to dismount the screen frame from the door and restoring it, after.

If you're handy with tools, you can probably do it yourself or have somebody do it for you.
The only trick, really, is to get the screen stretched tight with no wrinkles in it.

Just make sure that the screen frame, itself, is securely fastened to the window frame or door jamb.

If you do your job well, your cat ain't gonna' get through that stuff! ;)

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most new screens are made of some kind of vinyl. 2yrs ago we got new windows and paid extra for the "animal proof" upgrade. 10 min after the installer left I look over to see a squirrel head sticking through the screen. We had aluminum screening for repairs in the basement and the next day when they came back to finish we had them a piece in that window along with a note in the contract that that window was under warrantee despite the change and the "animal proof" upgrade charge removed from the balance.

Some older hardware store might still have aluminum screening available. They might even have a window repair sevice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help! I am glad that all of your kitty’s are safe and I am going to use the tips that you have writevhere to make sure that my poet is safe too. Thanks again!