Stomatitis

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 3-year-old kitty was recently diagnosed with stomatitis and I'm wondering if there are any treatments anyone who's had a kitty with stomatitis has found to be effective? We're prepared to have all of his teeth extracted as this seems to be the best treatment for it but just wanted to know if there's another treatment that's been effective that I'm not finding (it's so sad that there's very little information about this!).

The only symptom so far is teeth grinding (two patches were found at the back of his throat). He's been given antibiotics and then a steroid shot, none of which have worked.

Also, any recs for wet food that cats normally adverse to wet food like? (He's been adverse since a kitten, believe me we tried)

Any info and insight appreciated!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our Magnus has stomachitis.

Here is the VCA handout on the subject: Gingivitis and Stomatitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

WE had Magnus have a dental cleaning. It was discovered then that we didn't need any teeth removed (yet).

We were told that we could brush his teeth daily. This helped significantly. You have to brush with an enzymatic cat toothpaste. They also recommend dental dry food but Magnus swallows it whole so it's of no use to him. If your cat will crunch it, it's of good benefit.

Another study I looked at, found good results with sub-q omegas. Out vet was not wanting to go straight to that either, but suggested an oral omega supplement instead. An Update on Feline Chronic Gingivostomatitis

Other steps which are vital:
- washing their food bowls with soap between each meal (even dry food bowls) to reduce bacteria buildup
- storing their food in the bag it comes in, inside of a sealed container to reduce bacteria build up in the food
- cleaning water bowls daily with soap

Teeth removal
My understanding is that teeth removal doesn't always get rid of the issue and then you remove the ability to brush their teeth to reduce bacteria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatlover94

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Magnus has stomachitis.

Here is the VCA handout on the subject: Gingivitis and Stomatitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

WE had Magnus have a dental cleaning. It was discovered then that we didn't need any teeth removed (yet).

We were told that we could brush his teeth daily. This helped significantly. You have to brush with an enzymatic cat toothpaste. They also recommend dental dry food but Magnus swallows it whole so it's of no use to him. If your cat will crunch it, it's of good benefit.

Another study I looked at, found good results with sub-q omegas. Out vet was not wanting to go straight to that either, but suggested an oral omega supplement instead. An Update on Feline Chronic Gingivostomatitis

Other steps which are vital:
- washing their food bowls with soap between each meal (even dry food bowls) to reduce bacteria buildup
- storing their food in the bag it comes in, inside of a sealed container to reduce bacteria build up in the food
- cleaning water bowls daily with soap

Teeth removal
My understanding is that teeth removal doesn't always get rid of the issue and then you remove the ability to brush their teeth to reduce bacteria.
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, too! How is Magnus currently doing?

Our vet said we're not at the point of needing to pull the teeth yet - we caught it early thankfully - but his teeth grinding has gotten worse (sometimes he'll walk around and chew on things and grind his teeth), so we don't want it to get much worse.

Thank you so much for the recommendations and the study, we're going to give some of them a try! We got an omega supplement to try but I'm not holding much hope that he'll take it. :/ He has another vet appointment this week so planning on going over some other options.

I haven't done a ton of reading on the subject yet but all I'd gathered so far was pulling the teeth sometimes will reverse it but I always appreciate hearing different personal experiences.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, too! How is Magnus currently doing?

Our vet said we're not at the point of needing to pull the teeth yet - we caught it early thankfully - but his teeth grinding has gotten worse (sometimes he'll walk around and chew on things and grind his teeth), so we don't want it to get much worse.

Thank you so much for the recommendations and the study, we're going to give some of them a try! We got an omega supplement to try but I'm not holding much hope that he'll take it. :/ He has another vet appointment this week so planning on going over some other options.

I haven't done a ton of reading on the subject yet but all I'd gathered so far was pulling the teeth sometimes will reverse it but I always appreciate hearing different personal experiences.
Magnus is doing great. He gets flare ups but it's not as bad as it was. We also had him on Purina EN prescription wet food for awhile and that helped his tummy.

I mix the fish oil into their wet food just a couple times a week. I don't really know for sure if it's helping as much as other things like brushing.

I found the Vetradent teeth wipes and those have been amazing, but for gingivitis you still need to brush as well.