Stomach Issue mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow thanks for that info. A friend of mine here did tell me not to give a full dose so I gave half doses the first two days and I gave him a full dose today. I better back off. Thank you so much. Yes any food recommendations would be great. I’m trying to switch foods right now and it’s very difficult with four cats and very costly, because some of them they won’t eat !!!
If the doses you've been giving aren't making him vomit, you're probably fine! It's my impression (that's all it is since I clearly don't have data) that most cats do okay starting with a half- or full dose. I made a big and very stupid mistake with Edwina by giving her too big a dose on a day that she'd barfed. I don't rightly remember if I gave her a half- or full dose but whatever it was made her barf again. I waited a week or two (this was when she wasn't doing well during hot, humid, loud weather) and then started over again with, literally, a pinch. By the time she got to a half-dose, we could easily see results: she was obviously more comfortable an hour or two after the FGS. I went faster with her sister, who's never been much of a barfer, though she gets constipated, something that Gut Soothe seems to have eased a lot.

The food part is much harder to deal with, isn't it?! We feed lots of homemade (cooked) food, which works very well for Edwina because it's so simple. For canned foods, there's Fancy Feast turkey pate, Tiny Tiger turkey pate, Rawz pates (duck, chicken, turkey), and Nulo chicken/duck mousse. There's also occasional Mouser, though the cats aren't thrilled with it. Our other cat has a chip feeder with Dr. Elsey's chicken dry food (very, very low carbs, the only dry food I'd feed) and a little bit of Grandma Lucy's Moxie dehydrated food that works really well for her as a topper or mixer. Ireland also gets small meals of certain "Perfect Portions" pates, which I feed her somewhat grudgingly because they have tapioca starch (albeit not very much) in them.

We have a big list of forbidden ingredients, some of which are known irritants to one or both cats: agar-agar (both barf!), potato, and green-lipped mussels. There's also a "strong suspects" list that I avoid for both cats, though I'm not absolutely certain these ingredients cause problems in either cat: carrageenan, xanthan gum, maltodextrin, and fish are among them. I also avoid tapioca for Edwina. I try to avoid anything chemically or unnecessary for Edwina, though some of the cats' foods have guar gum, which seems to be a "least bad" type of thing. This is what works (at least today!) for our cats but yours may have totally different needs and preferences. It helps me a lot to keep a journal of "incidents" that includes symptoms, last meal fed, time, and other factors, including the weather and other stressors. I've learned a lot about stress and cats in recent months. I've also learned to look up just about any chemical -- maltodextrin was my "aha" moment -- that's in a new food or treat that appears to be causing gut issues for Edwina. There are often clinical trials in hoomans that mention digestive issues. I'd rather err on the side of caution and eliminate something from the diet than put or keep it in the food and deal with consequences later. I learned my lesson with agar-agar!

Anyway, fingers crossed that the Gut Soothe will help Blacky!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness thank you so much. I will try some of that food. I came back here to ask what dosage you did so I’m gonna put him back on a half a dose. Thank you so much and Blacky thanks you too and Sammy and Walli and Joey too!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. These are feral cats and they are getting closer and closer to me blacky he seems to be getting jealous of Sammy, because they both are starting to really love being close to me. But you know what he’s always had stomach issues. I will definitely take notes on your ingredients.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness thank you so much. I will try some of that food. I came back here to ask what dosage you did so I’m gonna put him back on a half a dose. Thank you so much and Blacky thanks you too and Sammy and Walli and Joey too!
You're so welcome, I hope something in there helps! Don't limit yourself too much when you start with new foods but watch carefully when you introduce something new to a cat with known stomach problems -- the big thing is that you don't feed a "bad" ingredient for too long. Gut issues can worsen very quickly.

So the dose for FGS is based on weight:
-Edwina's large so she gets the 12+ pound dosage: 1/2 teaspoon a day.
-Ireland's medium so she gets 1/4 teaspoon a day.

I started Edwina at one pinch then doubled it (ha, still not very much), gradually moving up through my measuring spoon collection. I did the same with Ireland but moved quicker since she doesn't have such a hinky gut.

Hmm. These are feral cats and they are getting closer and closer to me blacky he seems to be getting jealous of Sammy, because they both are starting to really love being close to me. But you know what he’s always had stomach issues. I will definitely take notes on your ingredients.
Stress -- which includes feelings of jealousy, something we see every day with our cats -- can be a big contributor to cats' health. Our cats weren't ferals but they were in an indoor setting with too many cats. The long-story-short version is that they have lots of anxieties about everything from food insecurity to metallic noises to feeling unloved. Edwina (gut issues) barfs when she's stressed. Ireland (asthma) coughs or gets aggressive (and visibly angry!) when she's stressed. I give Rescue Remedy homeopathic drops (the pet kind, without alcohol) for anxiety: Edwina gets them regularly, Ireland less so. They really help. I've also started putting a little catnip into some of their food: it's apparently calming if a cat eats it. I think it helps but it's too early to say.

Good luck with all this!

Last edited:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you give your cats, the guts, soothe?
I’ve been mixing with water and using a syringe because I needed him to take it right away. Are your cats eating it on top of food? I can’t mix it into the food because they don’t eat all their food. They really liked Forti Flora.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you give your cats, the guts, soothe?
I’ve been mixing with water and using a syringe because I needed him to take it right away. Are your cats eating it on top of food? I can’t mix it into the food because they don’t eat all their food. They really liked Forti Flora.
I mix it into the cats' food. I usually mix it into a small portion, though, in case someone doesn't finish her food. If someone doesn't finish her food, add a little more food and feed it again. I do add a little crumbled freeze-dried chicken and crushed dry food on top to entice them to eat.

The odd thing is that the cat who'll eat everything doesn't find the Gut Soothe very interesting to eat. But the pickier cat loves it!

I hope you don't have to keep syringing!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might try mixing it with crushed dried liver and broth and put that on top of food
yeah I don't want to syringe him too long, weird the capilex was easy to syringe,
I can tell he gets offended with the gut soothe syringe :D
You have been a great help thank you so much!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might try mixing it with crushed dried liver and broth and put that on top of food
yeah I don't want to syringe him too long, weird the capilex was easy to syringe,
I can tell he gets offended with the gut soothe syringe :D
You have been a great help thank you so much!
Yes, isn't it weird how they get offended by one thing but not another!? And yes, try whatever combinations you think might work. It might even be helpful to start with just a small amount to see what happens. Maybe he'd accept a small amount and then get used to it? I think that's what happened with Edwina, who wasn't fond of the stuff at all in the beginning. Now she laps it right up. I think sometimes they think someone's tampering with their food. (Which, of course, we are!)

I'm glad some of this is helpful. Good luck!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
offended?????? oh my gooooooooooodness, puddy!!! Sorrrrr-weeeee!

Hey, W walli .............how 'bout a follow-up with a lick from a Churu or similar?

I think that might put a smile back.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:D I will try everything, They lick the Churu but they don't get really excited about it
I will try it tho.
Yes My vet confirmed that they do get use to tastes so small amounts is a good idea.
who knew a Feral could be finicky?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blacky threw up Sunday night and Monday night so I gave him half a capilex and half a dose of the gut soothe last night and he didn’t throw up so I’m going to give him half dose morning and night because he hasn’t been throwing up during the day.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blacky threw up Sunday night and Monday night so I gave him half a capilex and half a dose of the gut soothe last night and he didn’t throw up so I’m going to give him half dose morning and night because he hasn’t been throwing up during the day.
I'm glad to hear he didn't throw up last night! I also dose Edwina in two installments (12N and 11pm) because that works best for her. I checked with Adored Beast since the instructions say to give all at once; they said it's fine to divide the dose. I noticed that a product review (or two?) also mentioned splitting the dose.

I hope Blacky continues to do better! 🤞

Last edited:

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! You can ask any question on the website I didn’t even think about that! Good to hear I’m not doing anything wrong which I usually am ha ha

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! You can ask any question on the website I didn’t even think about that! Good to hear I’m not doing anything wrong which I usually am ha ha
Yes, they have a little chat icon thingy in the lower right-hand corner, at least on the desktop version of their site. Sometimes they answer very quickly! They've very helpful. :)

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody, Blacky has thrown up a few times this week.
I'm taking him off the capilex and going to try Gut Soothe only for a couple days
I'm wondering if mixing the capilex and Gut soothe is too much.
I'm also watching the food, He threw up after an ocean whitefish so maybe that's bad
I'm actually considering home made food, but I really do not have the time for that.
I'm going to try some of the foods suggested.
what's weird is if he throws up it's after dinner not usually after breakfast.
He is drinking to much water when he throws up after dinner, it's very watery.
I syringed some churu last night after he threw up.
The vet had given him an appetite med, but I think it made him throw up. [sigh]
so I hope if I scale this back a little it will help him get better.
The capilex is oily and I just read that the Gut Soothe creates a Gel in the stomach
maybe it is too much with all the water?
oil and water don't mix :D

Why do I have picky Ferals?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody, Blacky has thrown up a few times this week.
I'm taking him off the capilex and going to try Gut Soothe only for a couple days
I'm wondering if mixing the capilex and Gut soothe is too much.
I'm also watching the food, He threw up after an ocean whitefish so maybe that's bad
I'm actually considering home made food, but I really do not have the time for that.
I'm going to try some of the foods suggested.
what's weird is if he throws up it's after dinner not usually after breakfast.
He is drinking to much water when he throws up after dinner, it's very watery.
I syringed some churu last night after he threw up.
The vet had given him an appetite med, but I think it made him throw up. [sigh]
so I hope if I scale this back a little it will help him get better.
The capilex is oily and I just read that the Gut Soothe creates a Gel in the stomach
maybe it is too much with all the water?
oil and water don't mix :D

Why do I have picky Ferals?
Yes, it might be a bit much for the little guy to have both the Capilex and the Gut Soothe. Theoretically, the Gut Soothe should (should!) ease hairballs. But it's good to start a cat slowly on Gut Soothe.

As for fish, yes, fish can be bad, it's a big cause of food allergies in cats.

What does Blacky eat for dinner? And does dinner come up immediately after eating (which would be regurgitation) or later (which could be a food allergy or sensitivity). If he eats, drinks water, and then everything comes gushing out, that's regurgitation. One of our cats does that occasionally. One night she did it when we were falling asleep: it sounded like a waterfall!

It can be so tricky to figure this stuff out! I hope the Gut Soothe will help Blacky's gut.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I think I might be figuring this out. I gave him only gut soothe today and so far so good yes it’s not right after he eats but quite a while afterwards and it’s mostly water.
Right now he’s eating fancy feast petite chicken, and rice. It’s the only thing he will eat right now. I won’t give him any more fishy ones. I tried buying the high-quality foods, but he wouldn’t eat them.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I think I might be figuring this out. I gave him only gut soothe today and so far so good yes it’s not right after he eats but quite a while afterwards and it’s mostly water.
Right now he’s eating fancy feast petite chicken, and rice. It’s the only thing he will eat right now. I won’t give him any more fishy ones. I tried buying the high-quality foods, but he wouldn’t eat them.
Yes, if it's quite a while after he eats, it's more likely to be an issue with the food. I'd start by removing the fish from his diet, though I know that can be very hard -- we had a fish addict and fish is a habit that's very hard to break. More Fancy Feast pates now have fish, which is too bad. Chewy's Tiny Tiger turkey pate doesn't have fish in it, though. Our cats both like that.

Fingers crossed you can find something else for him to eat! And that the Gut Soothe helps!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness Blacky seems so much better today!! I guess the Gut soothe did not mix x well with the capilex. Mom‘s fault I guess I got really confused because the capilex was working before I got the gut soothe. So now he is only on the gut soothe. Sheesh that’s three weeks I’ll never get back ha ha a friend here told me about the gut soothe it is amazing. Thank you so much for your help. I’m going through the food now because I think you’re right there’s something going on with the food also.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness Blacky seems so much better today!! I guess the Gut soothe did not mix x well with the capilex. Mom‘s fault I guess I got really confused because the capilex was working before I got the gut soothe. So now he is only on the gut soothe. Sheesh that’s three weeks I’ll never get back ha ha a friend here told me about the gut soothe it is amazing. Thank you so much for your help. I’m going through the food now because I think you’re right there’s something going on with the food also.
I'm so glad to hear the Gut Soothe already seems to be helping! It's been utterly amazing for our two cats, too, so I hope it is for Blacky as well.

When there are gut problems there are almost always food problems, too, so definitely take a look at that. Sometimes it helps to keep a journal. My Cat Log includes date, time, incident, last meal fed (if the incident was related to the digestive system), and other pertinent factors. It's been incredibly helpful for finding patterns. Just don't do what I do: I always seem to think something very good couldn't possibly be the problem. But good products absolutely can be the problem!

Good luck, W walli !

Status
Not open for further replies.