Stitches from Spay

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My kitten just got spayed 4 days ago and I noticed after the first day there was a small opening. I brought her back to the vet and they said it was still closed on the inside and that it was ok. She pulled a couple stitches but she would be fine if nothing else happened. Now, I have a better photo and saw some crusty stuff on the outside. Should I be concerned? Or does this look like normal healing?
Thank you in advance!
0EA757A5-9C63-4830-A71B-5E794AE1098C.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - as long as there's no oozing or pus, smell or redness I believe you're ok :). I'm not sure what the crusty stuff is from. She's not licking the incision?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using a cone? or protective body suit? You want to be sure she doesnt lick or scratch at the wound. Im no expert, but looks good to me. My cat just had a mass removed. She had crusty stuff that eventually seemed to melt with the medicine I put on her and it came out red. So I'm guessing dried blood.

My vets office allowed me to use Silver Sulfadiazine Cream on the stitches. Do not do this without their approval. Reach out to them to see if its okay. I personally think it helped my cats wound. It started getting slightly red and the cream got rid of the redness in a day.

Note: You can only get the cream through a prescription.

whisperedthing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Crusty stuff may be glue. I was very worried about my female when she got spayed, especially as the days went on because of crust. When I contacted my vet's office and sent a picture, they told me it was most likely glue. When we did the follow-up a couple days later, they confirmed it was just the glue coming off.

To me as a non-professional, the photo doesn't look alarming and it looks better than how my cat did! Does your vet have an email you could send a picture to for peace of mind?

Oh and I forgot to mention, the crusty stuff could also be it just scabbing over. Cats are like humans and when they get injured or have a wound, it closes and scabs. Very normal! Just make sure bb is in a cone, even a soft one, or a onesie and try to remove cat trees. She's gonna do some jumping bc she's a cat, but you can help keep her safe by covering or removing really high jumps. We also had our baby girl sleep in our bedroom since she has a brother and we didn't want him bothering her and we wanted him to be able to enjoy the cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet did not provide me with a cone and I went to buy one, but it is too big. I tried putting on a baby onesie but she will not let me. She started growling she got so mad. I don’t know how to keep her from licking it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. Unfortunately the vet did not have a cone small enough and the inflatable donut I bought for her caused more harm than good. She would fling herself around and I thought she was going to hurt herself until she got it off. I tried a baby onesie but she has gotten so mad she growls and I don’t want to hold her down and hurt her in some way.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a paper plate? Try cutting an x in the center and put that over her head.