Stimulus Checks To Go Out

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey...Does anyone on here know whats going on about people on ssi...social security benefits...being able to get the stimulus payment or not.
I kinda thought it was for people that got put outta work due to the corona virus..But im seeing online all kinds of different stories..Dont know what to believe...
Its the 1,200 stimulus payment...TIA
Just curious...Like to kinda keep up with this situation about the virus...been doing that pretty well..

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand, as of today, anyone within the income limits and is on SSI, SSDI, or SS will get a stimulus check even if they did not file taxes. Information on who those people are is, supposedly, coming directly from the Social Security Administration, although, obviously, the payments will come from the Treasury.

I am on SSDI; however, I file my taxes with my husband in a joint return. It makes me wonder if I will get a deposit into my account that I use for SSDI direct deposits, or if it will be deposited into his account that we used to direct deposit our tax refund.

If anyone can answer this question, I would be grateful: On last year's taxes, we claimed our 19-year-old daughter and her newborn son (born in December). She spent the majority of 2019 unable to work because of her pregnancy complications and lived with us when she was not in the hospital. She moved at the end of January/early February. She filed taxes even though they were both claimed as dependents on ours, despite not really needing to due to her income. Obviously, she is no longer a dependent since she lives on her own with her son. How would the stimulus work for her?

My guess is that since she was over 17 we would not get the $500 for her; however, we would get the $500 for the Hobbit, which we would obviously give to her. Would she then get some sort of tax credit next year on her taxes? What happens for those who were dependents last year but not this year?

I think the whole "won't get money for dependents 17 and older" is ridiculous. They are still dependent and should get something. I have friends whose son has been severely disabled since birth. He just turned 18 and is a dependent on their taxes. They will not get a check for him. My son's fiancee has been waiting for SSI to make a determination on her case. She is claimed as a dependent on my son's taxes. They will get nothing for her, either.

I heard that there is another bill that is supposed to address this situation in the works, but I do not know if that is true and it is ridiculous that it was just not addressed in this bill.