Stimulation

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How often should a 2 week old kitten be stimulated for bowel movements? Mom rejected and I am trying to do what is right for him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just to add, Kitten Lady recommends an ointment for a chapped bottom, but if you don’t have any on hand you can use coconut oil or even a dab of petroleum jelly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had him at ER. No poop for 3 days. Had enema, small buyer, then chalky stool, dehydration. Giving mineral oil and probiotics. Rectum sore. Using Vaseline. Some loose stool this morning but nothing more. Should I be concerned?

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had him at ER. No poop for 3 days. Had enema, small buyer, then chalky stool, dehydration. Giving mineral oil and probiotics. Rectum sore. Using Vaseline. Some loose stool this morning but nothing more. Should I be concerned? Sorry, small nugget caused blockage then chalky stool.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can better respond if you answer a few questions for background.

What brand formula are you feeding? Powdered or pre-mixed?

How much does the kitten weigh?

How much and how often are you feeding?

D Diana Robinson

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 tsp powdered milk replacement every 4-6 hours. With bowls not moving, afraid to feed more often. I do not know the weight.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be best to stay with powdered formula and add 2 drops olive oil per bottle. Neonates need lots of nourishment in tiny but frequent doses that allow their new digestive systems to digest well.

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do I still use the mineral oil also? I think it would be too much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I fear he is dehydrated and not getting nearly enough food for a 2-week-old kitten - in fact, nearly starving. No wonder his bowels don’t move. Withholding food only makes it worse.

How much does he weigh? At 2 weeks he needs to weigh 8 ounces to be healthy. He would need at least a minimum of 64mLs of formula each 24 hours, fed at 3 hour intervals, meaning he would get at least 8mLs per feeding, more if he wants it. What you are feeding is not enough.

Get to a vet for a free weigh-in or buy a scale that weighs in grams. This is the only way to know for sure if he is getting enough milk and growing. Kittens need to gain 10 grams or more per day.

Kitten’s weight, brand of food, and amount of food all matter.

Yes, 2-3 drops of olive oil (any kind) will help soften stool and move bowels, but if your kitten is not getting enough food to stay hydrated, much less to grow on, they will not poop regularly.

We need a weight on your kitten and you need to up your feedings in amount and frequency. In fact, by 3 weeks your kitten should weigh 12 ounces.

D Diana Robinson

Last edited:

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is doing great now. Poops regularly, and healthy appetite. Very active. He is on a Probiotic for his digestive system.
He is drinking his milk and starting to eat canned kitten food as well as dry kitten food.,

Diana Robinson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kitten is doing great now. Poops regularly, and healthy appetite. Very active. He is on a Probiotic for his digestive system.
He is drinking his milk and starting to eat canned kitten food as well as dry kitten food. Poor baby had a blockage and had to get things moving after blockage was removed.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap:Wonderful news!!!! How was the blockage finally removed? Other kitten guardians might benefit from knowing about your experience.
I am so proud of the good job you have done in saving a tiny & very fragile life :clapcat:. And thank you for the updates :rock: