Stilted Gait?

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! After getting our two quarreling felines finally able to cohabitate, I finally felt like things were smooth sailing until about a week ago. My little Mickey started being more lethargic, not racing around, and developed a strange habit of routinely sitting up on his haunches for a moment. He was still eating, drinking, no vomiting etc... After about 4 days of this, I took him to the vet where he was found to be perfectly healthy, if not just a tad overweight. She even took some scans to make sure that all organs looked good and there weren't any missed obstructions, etc...All good.
That was last Wednesday. Yesterday, I noticed that the strange sitting up behavior had greatly reduced, but now he is walking really weird. He has a strange, kind of stilted gait, like it hurts to walk. He isn't favoring a particular leg or side, he is just walking with a much shorter stride and comes down heavier on his feet and acts like he doesn't want to be on his feet much. He still is lethargic, but interested in his environment and food! Any thoughts? I am wondering if he fell off a bookcase or something and hurt his back? I do have another call in to the vet and am waiting for a response.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I gather the scans did NOT include x-rays? If so, make sure they take some x-rays to see if there is something going with the spine and/or other joints/bones. Is Mickey older? Could be some arthritis that he has irritated with what used to be typical activity for a younger cat - that isn't so typical once they start to age and may have some arthritis starting to set in.

Keep us posted. Hope you an get him in to the vet soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I gather the scans did NOT include x-rays? If so, make sure they take some x-rays to see if there is something going with the spine and/or other joints/bones. Is Mickey older? Could be some arthritis that he has irritated with what used to be typical activity for a younger cat - that isn't so typical once they start to age and may have some arthritis starting to set in.

Keep us posted. Hope you an get him in to the vet soon!
Thanks for your response! Mickey is a young cat, just turned 2 in June, so am very mystified...and very worried. :( Still waiting to hear back from vet.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I second getting him x-rayed and possibly seeing about some pain medication. We are in the midst of our own debacle, our 7-yr old cat Gohan started walking really funny, limping a little and his tail hung limp. They did x-rays and discovered some arthritis in his spine and some irregular bone growth of the spine that is probably causing some pinched nerves. He's probably had this issue for quite a while but a fall or wrench caused it to flare up all of a sudden. I think an x-ray is a great idea.

Good luck, I really hope Mickey starts feeling better. Gohan seems to be moving around a bit more with the pain meds we are giving him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mickpest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got back from vets with a 48 hour supply of Onsior to see if that makes a difference. If not, its back in for blood tests, x-rays, etc.... :( Keeping fingers crossed!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! There's nothing worse than watching a previous athletic kitty hobble around ... it's heartbreaking. Stay strong and hope he feels better!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine was non-stop cranky, but active. We got her x-rayed - one covered most of her - and discovered at the age of less than a year she had arthritis on her spine. She takes medicine, which makes her comfortable. She's active and much less cranky.