Still wool sucking at 7 months... should I be concerned?

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my kitten when he was about 8-10 days old. After feeding him, he would fall asleep sucking his blanket. Sometimes, he sucked my hand or my fingers. I didn't know at the time that this behaviour was called "wool sucking", I assumed it was normal since he'd have spent a longer time sucking his mother's tit at that age. The fact is, he continued this behaviour long after being a baby kitten. When I was, having a siesta or asleep in my bed, he would climb on my breast and suck my neck, and sometimes my husband's neck. Fortunately, as he got heavier, he spent less and less time doing it.

He is seven months old now and still does it. Just for five or ten minutes and normally at dawn, afterwards he finds himself a warm place on the bed. It goes without saying that I like it, and I consent it, and so does my husband. Do you think it is a bad thing? Well, it's not a good thing, I know, but can it have a negative effect on him? Should we discourage him from "wool sucking" our necks?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as you don't mind what he is doing, there really isn't anything wrong with it. It is more than likely due to the young age at which he was separated from his mother. There are some cats who suckle on things their whole lives, and many who do so certainly much longer than yours so far. You could try to transfer his suckling to an appropriate blanket/material in case this becomes a habit for the long haul. You'd want it to be a fabric that doesn’t consist of loose threads, is non-toxic, and contains no pieces that can be chewed or sucked off. You could also try this product -
catsifier.com

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was also told that my cat would outgrow this. She's now 15.5 years old, and still at it. Hasn't hurt a thing that I can tell, and it's incredibly bonding for us, as well. If you don't mind, don't worry about it.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the only potential risk with wool-sucking is if they swallow fibres or worse, strands, of the fabric. If you don't mind him sucking your neck, I don't think it's a problem.

(I would have laughed my head off if my Hadji had done that. Tiny black kitten and I called him Baby Dracula when his adult teeth were coming through and he had two sets of fangs for a while. If he'd gone for the neck as well ... 🧛🏿‍♂️😆)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the only potential risk with wool-sucking is if they swallow fibres or worse, strands, of the fabric. If you don't mind him sucking your neck, I don't think it's a problem.

(I would have laughed my head off if my Hadji had done that. Tiny black kitten and I called him Baby Dracula when his adult teeth were coming through and he had two sets of fangs for a while. If he'd gone for the neck as well ... 🧛🏿‍♂️😆)
Zena had fangs too 😹 I think they’re really called something else but I forgotten what now meezers and os tend to have them

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted my kitten when he was about 8-10 days old. After feeding him, he would fall asleep sucking his blanket. Sometimes, he sucked my hand or my fingers. I didn't know at the time that this behaviour was called "wool sucking", I assumed it was normal since he'd have spent a longer time sucking his mother's tit at that age. The fact is, he continued this behaviour long after being a baby kitten. When I was, having a siesta or asleep in my bed, he would climb on my breast and suck my neck, and sometimes my husband's neck. Fortunately, as he got heavier, he spent less and less time doing it.

He is seven months old now and still does it. Just for five or ten minutes and normally at dawn, afterwards he finds himself a warm place on the bed. It goes without saying that I like it, and I consent it, and so does my husband. Do you think it is a bad thing? Well, it's not a good thing, I know, but can it have a negative effect on him? Should we discourage him from "wool sucking" our necks?
I am not sure why it would be a bad thing unless he were swallowing fabric etc. It sounds affectionate and relaxing for all 😀 as long as you don’t mind it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cheech( RIP) was not weaned when I brought him home wrapped in a big blankey- he suckle that blanket like there was no tomorrow and each year I used to cut of the worn edges- 2decades later it was the size of a wash cloth but still he'd come running to suckle when I'd say " blankey"

I have one little wool sucker now but she doesn't actually suck-she just plant her face in and kneads---- its a good binding thing imo

Nothing stringy or potentially hazardous and they are just fine

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zena had fangs too 😹 I think they’re really called something else but I forgotten what now meezers and os tend to have them
I think they're just the canine teeth that sometimes grow very long. I knew a cat whose upper canines extended past his jaw. Hadji's weren't like that, he just had two lots while his adult ones were desce and his baby ones hadn't fallen out. This was not long after Coppola's Dracula was in the cinemas, so double sets of fangs were a thing! 😄

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as he isn't ingesting too many fibers, it's fine. I have a 6-year-old cat that has been sucking plush fleece blankets since we got him 4 years ago. He seems to find it soothing and kneads while he sucks. He gets "blanket time" every morning where he's petted and sucks on the crusty parts of his favorite blanket.