Still Scared of Me?

tachyon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adopted a male 6 year old ginger and white cat about 11 months ago from an animal shelter.

He has a brother also. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to adopt the both of them.

They came from a home where the owner also adopted some dogs (puppies?), but apparently the dogs and the cats didn't get on and the previous owner gave up the cats to the animal shelter for adoption.

I don't have further details of the cats background.

As far as is known, he doesn't wander out onto the street. Although he has been seen at both my neighbors places.

The cat I adopted is fairly sensitive (whereas his brother is apparently not so sensitive and more laid back). He hid for about a week when I adopted him. And often likes to go (hide?) under the house.

He is more an outdoors cat, but I try to keep him inside at night for safety reasons. And to an extent I keep him indoors during the day as well.

He often likes to hop on my lap and have a bit of a cuddle (indoors)!

He has been treated well. Plenty of affection. No hitting or slapping. And I haven't even yelled at him!

Problem is, especially outdoors, he will usually not come to me. In fact, he tends to run away from me as though he is scared of me!? After nearly a year of good treatment, why is he (still) scared of me? Perhaps he was mistreated by the previous owners??

Admittedly I am not a very patient person, and I'm concerned about his negative reaction to me (outdoors mostly). I'm even thinking about returning him to the animal shelter as I'm having a hard time dealing with his (negative) reactions.

As of today, he hasn't come inside for his breakfast and lunch (although I thin he nibbled some leftovers from last nights meal).

He usually has some breakfast and a bit of lunch, but after letting him outside around 9:15 am this morning he hasn't come inside for his meal(s). I am bit concerned about that.

At around 1:30 pm, I saw him jump over my fence to one of my neighbors back yard. I went to look for him at my neighbors yard, and saw him near the fence amongst some bushes. Despite me calling him he hid from me! And apparently he jumped back over my fence (spotted by a guy at a nearby factory) but I haven't seen him since so far (as of 3:30 pm).

I don't think he's sick as such (did spot him chewing a bit of grass though before he jumped over the neighbors fence). He was eating fine last night and seems (as far as I tell by his movements, which were agile) to be basically OK.

What's going on?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me as if he is just happy outside right now and that is where he wants to be.  Do you have a cat flap where he can come and go as he pleases during the day?  One of my old cats would dart from us if she was outside and didn't want to come in.  Sometimes acting like she was ignoring us!  
  Cattitude!

If he is sitting in your lap and interacting with you when he is inside; then I highly doubt he is afraid of you.  It actually sounds pretty normal from my experiences.  It's almost as if you need to make him think coming inside to eat is his own idea.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tachyon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments!

Yes. I'm also more inclined to thinking that he just wants to spend more time outdoors (it is warm here at the moment), as he has had little time outdoors recently. He often "asks" to go out, but I usually don't let him out unless it is daylight and it is fine weather. I keep him indoors at night (if possible).

However. My concern is that (as far as I know) he hasn't eaten or drunk anything since early this morning (before 9 am)! I know cats can go without food/water for a couple of days or so. But he usually comes in around lunchtime for a nibble, and he hasn't done so today!?

I saw him on my veranda around 5:20 pm this afternoon. I tried to catch him by tempting him with a food bowl (and he seemed to want to eat) but he ran away under the neighbor's house!

He has been outside now for around 10 hours now, which is not usual. Hence my concern.

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he may be eating food outside - either food that someone left out for stray cats, or he has caught his own food (mice, birds, bugs)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tachyon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments!

Firstly. He eventually came back inside at around 8:45 pm! Thank goodness!

He had his tea (later than usual). But he didn't seem to be overly hungry.

I know that my neighbors don't leave food outside. So either my cat just didn't fell very hungry, or was feeling a bit sick, or maybe he did catch a mouse or something?

Today he seems to be fine, so far. Although I'm keeping him indoors to keep an eye on him just in case he is sick.

Other cats I've had in the past usually didn't run away from me (outdoors). So I find my present cats behavior to be a little unusual. Eventually he may settle down and stop running away from me. Then again maybe not? Just his character?

BTW, I don't have a cat flap. I have to leave doors ajar for him to come and go outside.