Still peeing in bed after cystonomy for struvite stone

kittymama01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I'm a new user here. I am particularly concerned about my foster Sphynx cat. She had a major struvite stone in her bladder and her owner wanted to put her down because she used to urinate everywhere, even during her sleep. Long story short, I got her cystonomy surgery. It's been 5 days and she is still peeing in her bed or kitty cave, especially if it's freshly washed or new puppy pad on top of it she goes to pee on it to celebrate. She's a rambunctious kitty who refuses to relax or take it easy (although she doesn't lick her stitches much). After the surgery she seems to be more active or she cries up a storm if I don't allow her to roam around in my building's hallway (it's a new habit she developed). I made an appointment with the vet as a follow up. But I am not sure if this peeing habit is psychological or physical health related. Please provide feedback on how to stop this behavior, it has gotten worse after the surgery. I put the litterbox next to her bed and she still goes to pee on the bed and then to the litterbox to strain.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I have read 5 days isn't much time yet, and she may still be in pain and have urine leakage. Is she on pain meds? Is she actually urinating, as in "assuming the urination position" in her bed, or do you just see the aftermath? It really is possible that this is urine leakage, which is normal (again, from what I have read) for a couple weeks post surgery of this type. So is straining when they actually are using the box.

Obviously follow up with the Vet tomorrow and see what they say. If you need to, you can try using Cat Attract litter to get her used to using her litterbox again. Most people say it works well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My cat, Feeby (17+yo), had a cystotomy at 5yo for oxalate (not struvite) stones. She had no recurring issues afterward. However, as part of the follow up with your vet, they should be doing x-rays to see the condition of her bladder after the surgery. I would start there.

This sounds like a possible cystitis issue, which can cause bladder stones, but isn't necessarily resolved solely through surgery. Does she had bladder wall thickening? How is her urine PH? Did the vet put her on a special diet to help prevent/reduce the creation of new stones? If there is inflammation in the bladder - regardless of the stones - it can cause what you are describing, and it can also cause bladder spasms, which also fit what you are saying is going on. Antibiotics and perhaps, anti-spasmodic meds might be in order.

Stargirl0623

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat recently have a major urinary surgery, and it took a solid two weeks before he had full bladder control back--he'd wake up in puddles or accidentally pee while on his way to the box fairly often after surgery, and it slowly improved with time. They just can't hold it while they're recovering and that area is all sore and inflamed; when they need to go, they need to go NOW.

That said, I'd highly recommend checking in with a vet! My understanding from my own little guy's recovery is that after five days you should be seeing some improvement, and a decrease in the amount of straining going on. I hope she's also on a diet to discourage the formation of new stones--while they likely won't get that big that quickly, she could already have developed more if the underlying cause hasn't been addressed. If this has been an ongoing behaviour for years, too, she might have damaged her bladder in a way that's going to need a bit more proactive care. Cats typically don't WANT to pee in their own beds, so I'd want to check her out thoroughly to make sure the physical causes have all been addressed and she's healing on track (inflammation and spasming could still be going on). Also check on her pain management--usually they only prescribe for a few days after surgery, but oftentimes pets need a bit of help for a little longer than that, and when they don't hurt so much they have an easier time making it to the litter box.

(Note that using puppy pads will encourage her to pee in that spot, and if you're not using an enzyme cleaner it might still smell like urine enough that she's picking up on it and has decided it's an ok place to do her business! I had to discard nearly every bed, towel, pillow, and a rug that my cat had accidents on during his recovery.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymama01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. To answer some of the questions. Please excuse the typos and terseness as I'm typing from mobile and also doing another batch of laundry for her.

1. She was on her 5-day course of Buprenorphine .25ml twice a day. Finished the course today.

2. She's on prescription wet food diet for the last 5-6 weeks and continuing on it - Purina Pro Vet UR

3. She uses her litterbox fine. Just randomly pees on freshly washed bedding and blankets or when she wakes up from her sleep. She pees small amounts at a time, just like before. Based on what you've replied it's normal for the first few weeks. Her frequent peeing in fresh cat bed wasn't so prevalent before the surgery.

4. She doesn't use her other puppy pads I have laying around throughout the apartment. Only cares about her bedding puppy pad. If I don't put puppy pad she still pees on it (freshly washed). She did that on the first day I got the kitty cave. Whenever she loves something she pees on it. Both of her cat beds, cat blankets and heated pad became her favorite peeing spots after the surgery.

5. I've been checking her sutures and it is healing nicely based on what I am seeing. No inflammation or bruising. Just dry stitches. But she won't stop dashing around the apartment building's hallway and no way to stop her. More I try to stop her more she runs or rolls on the floor out of excitement.