Still Losing Weight

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
from being at 14 lbs at one time and after diabetes/pancreatitis/liver scare he was down to 12 lbs. but now no more diabetes or any related issues. the asthma issue is the only one remaining. diet is purina DM dry and fancy feast. he eats little of both and is down to 10 lbs.

He is otherwise very active, playfull, purring. Doesn't use the litter box as much either probably due to less diet. But I curious whether he's just losing the weight due to being on a much lower carb diet than the one he was on before which was royal canin urinary SO and before that hill's dental.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A B12 insufficiency can cause weight loss. The vet can check B12 levels with a blood test. If levels are low, you'll need to give B12 injections.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A B12 insufficiency can cause weight loss. The vet can check B12 levels with a blood test. If levels are low, you'll need to give B12 injections.
full bloodwork was done last month with no issues detected.
I will ask her again if there was b12 deficiency.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Full blood work including a super chem and T4, looking for hyperthyroidism now or a mal-absorption issue?
I looked at your previous threads but didn't see an age on your cat. What is the time frame for the weight loss?
What else can he eat that you might try to add to his diet? Doesn't sound like he is too crazy about his food, yes?
What does the vet say about his weight loss?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a specific blood test for B12. It's not part of regular full blood work. The vet has to specify it when submitting the blood sample and paperwork.

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Full blood work including a super chem and T4, looking for hyperthyroidism now or a mal-absorption issue?
I looked at your previous threads but didn't see an age on your cat. What is the time frame for the weight loss?
What else can he eat that you might try to add to his diet? Doesn't sound like he is too crazy about his food, yes?
What does the vet say about his weight loss?
Thanks. his age is 11

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got an xray done and he has enlarged spleen. vet recommended ultrasound which will cost $400.

Anyone know what probable causes might there be?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no idea, so I looked it up. Here is an article on it - not to scare you, as there are both minor and major causes, most treatable - but to help you know what questions to ask your vet.

Don't assume the worse, just consider this article ammunition to increase your ability to have a productive discussion with your vet. It does sound like, in addition to a full range blood panel, an ultrasound is generally recommended.

Enlarged Spleen in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Please keep us posted.

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no idea, so I looked it up. Here is an article on it - not to scare you, as there are both minor and major causes, most treatable - but to help you know what questions to ask your vet.

Don't assume the worse, just consider this article ammunition to increase your ability to have a productive discussion with your vet. It does sound like, in addition to a full range blood panel, an ultrasound is generally recommended.

Enlarged Spleen in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Please keep us posted.

thank you. but is there any correlation b/w enlarged spleen and him not eating?
I see ther that enlarged spleen can be caused by him not eating but not the other way round. Such a wierd situation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe I missed something, but I thought loss of appetite is one of the possible symptoms of an enlarged spleen. To quote what was in the document:

"Symptoms of Enlarged Spleen in Cats

Because the spleen is responsible for storing and filtering blood, removing old cells and foreign bodies from the bloodstream, and helping the immune system function properly, the cat may experience a variety of symptoms that warrant investigation in order to treat the primary cause of the enlargement.

Lack of appetite, etc...."

Where did you read the reverse?

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed something, but I thought loss of appetite is one of the possible symptoms of an enlarged spleen. To quote what was in the document:

"Symptoms of Enlarged Spleen in Cats

Because the spleen is responsible for storing and filtering blood, removing old cells and foreign bodies from the bloodstream, and helping the immune system function properly, the cat may experience a variety of symptoms that warrant investigation in order to treat the primary cause of the enlargement.

Lack of appetite, etc...."

Where did you read the reverse?
sorry i read it wrong.

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so it seems the ultrasound is actually $550 and there may be other things like biopsy etc. which will bring all this closer to $1000.

I don't have this type of money right now. I spoke to the vet and she said just try to get him to eat as much as possible. so I am putting him back on 2mg mirtazapine. She said this could be related to spleen, or IBS or some other issue which we won't know until abdominal ultrasound is done.

I want to try a different food.

I tried royal canin RS which he didn't like.
Should I try hills AD?

Also have to be mindful of his crystals issue so is there a dry food that cats really like but which also helps prevents crystals? don't care about carbs at this time. just trying to get him to gain weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try Royal Canin SO, Hill's S/D, or Purina Urinary Tract food. They have lower phosphorous and magnesium levels which seems to be two of the main culprits in struvite crystal formation. His issue is struvite crystals, not oxalate, right?

Any food you try should be gradually introduced not changed all at once - that helps to adjust the cat to the taste and aides in avoiding digestive issues that can be associated with an immediate food change. So, whatever you try, mix a little of the 'new' food with one he likes to eat, and gradually reduce the 'old' food as you add 'new'.

Also, another member is having issues with Mirtazapine because her cat acts like it is starved all the time and meows incessantly - both of which are common side effects. If this should happen to your cat, ask the vet about lowering the dosage.

Lastly, are you not feeding any wet because he doesn't like it or you are just wanting a higher calorie content that is generally found in a dry food? If calories is the reason, you could always add some water to the dried for hydration purposes.

Last edited:

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes I am feeding fancy feast as well. he does a small amount of it too.

nick8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmmm.. i put him on urinary SO and he's gobbling it up. his weight went up by 1 lb in 2 days. however he is a bit lethargic. my guess is that its shooting up his blood sugar. I have not checked it.

so basically he was hating the food which is why his weight was going down.

not sure what else I can do at this point.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you've found a food he's willing to eat. That's a really good thing. It will give you time to look at other issues.