still happy with raw?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feed raw, but those last few comments made me laugh! 
  I can totally see the two of you in your "happy time" at each stage in the process.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on where you live, it's really easy to balance a raw or cooked diet these days. There are supplement premixes that make just meat OR just meat & liver OR meat/bone/organ mixes nutritionally balanced and complete. It's more expensive than doing it yourself, but it's easy.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been lucky with Ritz: she was a canned fish flavored food addict until out of desparation I switched her to raw (prey model raw, also known as Frankenprey).
She will eat all kinds of meat (llama, goat, goose, rabbit to the more normal chicken, beef, pork) and organ (from eyeballs to brain to liver and kidney).
As mentioned it is irresponsible to feed a raw diet if you haven't thoroughly researched the subject; then you would run the risk of feeding a nutritionally deficient diet. But as long as you know and follow the basics then your cat will reap the benefits. www.catcentric.org, is a good site to read.
And you can start with baby steps like giving a piece of raw chicken as a treat and then perhaps explore commercial raw while researching, investigating, etc.

lehighluke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive had my kittens for about 6 month, and been feeding them raw since I got them, they are now about 9 & 7.5mo

YES, I am still happy with the diet,

- EVERYONE comments on how incredibly soft they are...I think I take it for granted, but they do have super soft chinchilla-like fur (and they have short hair)

- There is practically no shedding...nothing on the carpet and furniture, no big fur balls under the bed like with my old cats, they only shed on me when I take them for a car ride (stress) otherwise, nothing.  I brush about once a week.

- Super healthy, energetic, and loving.  My male is very muscled, he is extremely dense, and reminds me of a mini tiger...what a specimen

- No bad breath, like never!  I should be brushing their teeth, but I really dont, and they have great dental hygiene naturally

- No litterbox odor...I used to have to hold my breath while scooping litter with my last cats...but these guys have absolutely no odor.  I use Worlds Best Unscented litter, and scoop a couple times a day.  I was planning on toilet training, but now I see no need because there is no smell...the 'cat' room in my house smells vaguely of cornbread, lol

- My babies have the best tempermant and sleep-with-you-all-night behavior...they are perfect cats...I think they are the best versions of themselves they could be, thanks to diet

ALL the above, and the price I pay is I have to spend a few hours 1 day a month making food.  Yes, its worth it

*EDIT* I feed a home made Dr. Pierson variant (rabbit & chicken combined, including bones/organs & supps)..Id take the Pepsi challenge with any commercial food regarding nutritional balance with my recipe

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of raw or even cooked.
I was just wondering of any health problems developing later on.
Mine still think I am daff when i give them a chunk of raw chicken to try.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats' health improved on balanced raw. The key is that it must be balanced, which isn't really hard to do, but unfortunately severe health problems will occur if the diet is not balanced.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know you probably made a mistake in posting your question in this sub forum. I'm sure most everyone who comes here, even the lurkers, are people who are either interested in learning about a home-made diet or are actively feeding a home-made diet. People in the first category aren't in a position to answer the question because they have no experience with it and people in the second category are obviously happy with it or else they wouldn't be feeding it.

You might get more what you are after if you post in the main nutrition forum. There might be people there who have tried home-made then abandoned it for whatever reason.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fed my babies for 4 years now. WOULD NEVER GO BACK.

100% love and advocate raw feeding. <3

11201ny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's all my little ladies have ever known. Of rabbit, chicken, quail, duck they seem to only really like the rabbit, but tolerate the others. We have a batch of duck that they fight me on every day. Regardless, they are seemingly healthy animals. One of out cats lost some hair during an unrelated medical condition and has yet to get it back, but she seemingly also has extremely sensitive skin. Lately I have noticed some bumps which I chalk up to be acne. As a result, I add extra vitamin e to her food, & have been trying out colloidal silver. We'll see.

Anyway, to me it's the only diet to feed a cat. These little creatures look to us to make decisions that are in their best interest. Unfortunately most mass made foods are neither in our cats best interest, or our own. So the question remains, doesn't make sense to nourish with foods that offer the best natural solutions to maintain good health? I believe so.

Just a few weeks ago I sadly watched as my stepmother emptied the leftovers from her plate into a dog bowl... half a cheeseburger, bread, fried foods, etc. It was a sad thing to see, as it's probably more common than not. I think a lot of people get off on the convenience, and immediate (animals) gratification of doing this over the inconvenience of doing what is our moral contract to the beings we care for. As a result we have rampant pet obesity, as well as a host of ailments that effectively detract, and/or destroys the quality of the beings life... but I guess that doesn't end with our pets.

joleca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Been a month since I feed raw. Crazy energetic, zero fur shedding, no poop smell. Can't be happier. Well, I'd be happier if I figure out why he vomits frequently.
Might be that he's eating too quickly..    Found that happening with 2 of my kittens (I have 3, they're about 4 months old now)..   I've been adding water to their raw food, making it more of a "gruel" consistency..   it really slows them down and none have vomited once since I started doing this.   Since they're growing so fast, they're eating a lot and slowing them down a bit seems to help.   I'll gradually start cutting back on the water as they get bigger, until they're just eating their raw as it is.

You might want to try the water trick.