Sticky Trap!

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So for a week or so I’ve had sticky traps out and Nouveau has left them alone...until this morning.

I pulled his paw free, albeit hissing and fussing, and trimmed a majority of the affected fur away. But he’s still aggressively pulling at a little bit that’s left. Should I try to get the rest of it? Or will that tiny bit be ok? He’s still behaving quite normally.

Thanks all!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things like that are extremely stressful to cats. As long as he isn't pulling his skin off too he'll be OK, I don't know which is more stressful, you trimming or him pulling!
Sticky traps are nasty.I can't imagine anything worse than being trapped and slowly starving to death. I hope you kill them before disposing of them. I started getting the mouse repellants, they smell good, like a strong pine scent, and I haven't had any mice in my shed since. My cats take care of the rest., which at least is quicker and natural. of course I still try to save and almost cry with any birds my cats catch, I'm somewhat of a nut for animals, all kinds. I'll bet your Nouveau would agree with the trepellants. !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nouveau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks di and bob!

He was definitely stressed when I figured out what was going on! All I heard was it sounded like he was playing with something he shouldn’t and sure enough...he was running down the hall fussing about it. Luckily the affected area was only maybe a 1/4 square inch of his paw. He has really long fur between his pads so it wasn’t too hard to snip the majority away. Already since posting this he’s already quit pulling and licking at that paw.

I got the traps to get rid of some creepy crawlers I’ve had problems with since I moved in. I immediately threw that one away of course as well as the other one within Nouveau’s reach.

Just made for some momentary stress! He’s pretty resilient! Just want to be sure the ingestion of that little bit of glue won’t hurt him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It shouldn't, but watch for changes in his habits...eating, drinking, energy levels, litter box. Also, if there is still some residue on his fur, peanut butter will most likely get it off.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you want to get it off, cooking oil, mineral oil, baby oil or peanut butter will get off the sticky traps. Just don't use oils with essential oils in them and completely soak the spot with the oil. I'd probably do corn oil since I know for sure that corn is non-harmful if ingested. I've seen people soak the traps in oil to get stuck rodents off them or make them ineffective (my offices old receptionist was a vegan and hard core to the life so she'd mess with the traps in the office to save the mice, part of the reason she is now gone).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The hospital where I worked used to use them, and I squalled and squawked for so long that they went to live traps. I'd collect them three times a week and shuffle the mice off to a dirt road near a stream, but 5 miles from anywhere.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'd sabotage glue traps for rodents too. They're cruel and I wouldn't be able to stand the cruelty.

Anyway, yes, I've heard that oil will de-stickify them. I heard that on a snake forum actually. . .I guess it's a common problem for a pet snake to find one if he gets loose, which I guess makes sense because you'd put the trap where the mice run, and the snake would go where the mice run too. Baby powder/cornstarch is another options, it will coat the adhesive so it wouldn't be sticky anymore, but I don't think it would dissolve the adhesive. But it's probably slightly less messy than the oil.