Stewart loves water . . . all over the floor!

mkrosal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat absolutely loves playing with water! To start we had just a regular water bowl which he knocked over every chance he got! Next we went to a really heavy pyrex pie pan that he couldn't knock over . . . but he learned to drag it across the tile which made a whole lot of noise. So we added a sticky pad to the bottom of the bowl so he could no longer drag it . . . so instead he learned to tip up the bowl from underneath and spill all the water out. We finally decided to get a Cat It water fountain and loved it for a couple of days . . . but now he knocks the fountain over! Does anyone have any idea of what to do?! We're either looking for a good bowl solution or another type of fountain. Any ideas? Does anyone else have these issues?

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After the destruction of a fountan, tipping of assorted dishes down the basement stairs, and tramping through water, I gave up and now use a margarine container in the basement - that way if I step in it, I just haul out another container, and if they spill it, it is on concrete, no bother at all. Now if I could just get them NOT to tip the food dish down the steps if they think they have been 'poisoned'.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
put the water bowl (regardless of what you use) in a large shallow cookie sheet or other baking pan (large- larger than the water bowl). Stoneware would be good, because it's heavy. Then he can spill all he wants and the water will be contained.

I have a water bowl tipper/dragger too.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats (Red) loves to perform gravity experiments with water. Somehow he knew where to stand to avoid getting wet himself. Since I have lots of pets (2 cats and 2 dogs) I switched to a much larger water dish. With this larger dish he could not avoid getting wet himself and concluded his experiments.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its nice to know I'm not alone in this!

My Madison insists on having a cup to drink from, or he'll spill his bowls everywhere, and then, he heads out to the kitchen, drinks what he wants from the dogs water, and throws it all over the floor, to only head into the office and drink some of the other cats water.

I've just gotten used to stepping in water honestly. I suppose if I had a nice apartment with nice floors it'd matter more but he has fun and it doesn't hurt anything so long as it keeps him out of my toilette (he likes to play in that too should the door mistakenly be left open) I'm okay with it

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Batman is a water splasher - luckily not a water bowl tipper over.
He also likes to bring his toys to his food/water area - sometimes dropping the toy into the water.. Not good if it's a toy with dye.
I bought one of those water hog type mats for his food/water dish.

Looks like a lot of other kitties do this so you'll get some good tips.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Ootay (
5/09) was a splasher. She'd sit up on her haunches and splash both paws in the water like she was playing a drum.SplashSplashSplashSplash! Made an awful mess, but it was so cute, I could never be bothered by it.

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Scaredy is part raccoon, I think. She will purposely drop kibbles into the water dish just to fish them out and eat them. Since they eat in my carpeted kitchen, and the floor and bowls were constantly soaked, I stuck the water bowl into a container with higher sides - and now she can't splash it out. Dusty enjoys drinking the spillover from the container.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have this, too. My male kitten Possum likes to play in water and tip over bowls. My calico Wendy likes to create kitchen lakes by splashing all the water from the bowl. We are always stepping in pools of cold water in the morning. I finally got an aluminum dog bowl, with sloping sides, which the cats can't tip over, at least. But that doesn't stop Wendy from emptying it the hard way. There's no point in placing a tray under it because she can soak cabinets that are two or three feet away. She has a strong side stroke.

At least they don't throw their bowls down the basement steps! Wow! We don't have any basement steps! But I'll suggest they try it anyway!