Steroids for Cat with End-Stage Cancer?

JosieQ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty, Logan, who'll be 12 years old in June -- if she lives that long, which seems unlikely.  There's a whole big long back-story about how she got a tumorous lump, and I didn't have money to do anything about it, and a fundraiser, and an operation. 

Well her operation was on February 5th and they took out an entire chain of mammary glands.  Around the first of April or so I noticed something I hoped was a rash between her back legs.  It wasn't, and it quickly became obvious the cancer was back, this time angrier than ever.  This time it isn't even confined to the mammary glands.  Apart from the mess of tumors on her abdomen (which have the death-smell the removed tumor has, the stink of the tissue undergoing necrosis, which smells like death) are tiny little pea-sized bumps littering her chest, under her armpits, and one or two up her sides.

So it's obvious now that it's only a matter of time and there's nothing I can do.  It seems to be progressing ridiculously fast now, and she even stopped eating a few days ago and only occasionally gets up to drink or use the litterbox.  Getting her to purr is at all is hard work, which is the worst part of all I think.

Onto my question.  The vet has recommended steroids.  I only have experience with steroids through my now-passed ferret (for whom they seemed to do absolutely nothing), and I'd like to know what they'll possibly do for my cat, who has seemed to give up.  I've read online that they will improve quality of life, possibly extend the life a little bit, and give the pet its appetite back.  But here's my worry, and therefore my question.

Since the steroids do not treat, much less cure,  the cancer, is there a point?  What I do NOT want is something that provides a roller-coaster of feeling good, something that gives her energy and appetite here and there, while simply allowing the cancer to REALLY take hold and do some even worse damage.  Like for instance, I don't want her to feel she's getting better, start eating food and stuff, and meanwhile the cancer spreads to her lungs and one day she suffocates.  You know?  

I mean, I guess what I'm asking is, will they made her feel good and then she'll still die happily at the same time she would've, only this time it hurt less and she's at least got a full stomach?  Or is it just something that provides false relief and an ending that'll be even more miserable than the one she seems to be targeting now?

I'd like anyone to chime in, anyone with actual medical knowledge or first-hand experience, just to get an idea of what I should do.  However I'd prefer to not talk about the euthanasia aspect.  (I actually came here via this thread, which had some great responses.)  I've been agonizing over that every day, literally every hour of every day, for over a year and... I just can't handle it.

Anyway, thanks!  Crossing my fingers for quick replies.

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The steroids will only possibly slow down the progress of the cancer and give her a little more time.  I am so sorry you and your kitty are going through this.  It's a tough decision to decide when it's time to let her go peacefully.  Many people say that you will know when it's time, I have always struggled with the decision.  Not eating is a very strong sign that it is time to let her go peacefully.  A steroid may get her eating again for a while but the course of the disease will continue only possibly slower.  The good days and bad days is kind of part of this disease.

Last edited: