Stepped on my cats body. Need advice bad..

Christo23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I wanted to get my cat some snacks bc she was being a brat and I almost tripped and my cat ran right under my foot as I came down real hard. She screamed and wouldnt stop screaming for a minute or 2 when I tried to get near her. She was very aggressive after that. Trying to hide and attack me when I got near.
Ive spent the last 4 hours with her making sure she is ok. She has finally calmed down a bit and is taking a nap.
Should I take her to the vet? I dont have alot of money and dont know what they charge. Im out of work because of covid.
Nothing like this has ever happened and Im really scared/worried that I hurt her in ways I cant see. Is there any telltale signs that there is a bigger issue? Ive gotten her to eat lots of treats and catnip seemes to make her not hate me so much.
Im a heavy guy and Im just really worried...her ear is twitching alot in her sleep. I could be overthinking. I just don't know what to do.
Please help. Thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd the cat to a vet to be sure there aren't any internal injuries. Many vets are understanding about Covid unemployment and are willing to work with clients on payment.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her to dvm immediately, she could have internal injuries. Put it on a credit card or a care plan or work it out with dvm etc. Call and explain your situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christo23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think it would be ok to wait until tomorrow? The only places I can find are pet emergency rooms. I really just dont have money right and I dont know what to do. I can't afford a 3k emergency pet roomvisit. I found a good place that can take her tomorrow

Christo23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has drank water. Eaten treats and food. She ran from my little dogs and hissed and clawed which is not normal. She is still jumping on high surfaves
She doesnt like too much contact right but she did just jump up on my chair but only took a couple of pettings before jumping back down

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know an emergency vet can be hard to afford but can you call them and tell them what happened? It might not be much more than e regular visit and if you came down on her hard, she really needs to be checked out. Call and tell them all you just told us. So sorry this accident happened! Also ask about payment programs. Let them know about the job problem due to Covid. If one won’t help, call another! They may be able to give you some idea of what to look for with her too.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to add to check FB start joining/liking any animal rescue groups/pages. Where I live we have an abundance of kind loving people that if you post the vet bill they donate in addition to certain groups that have money just for things such as this.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you found a vet to see her tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes. I had to learn to shuffle my feet as I walk instead of taking big steps where my cats could fit under my feet. It's just something we have to learn living with cats, please don't beat yourself up too bad about it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
We can understand your predicament right now especially about the finances. Times are really so hard for most of us these past several months. I hope you have found a way to take her to a vet with not much or no costs at all. I hope your closest friends can help you also, even closest relatives. I pray your cat is fine. Hang in there. Don't feel so bad about it. I also cannot count the number of times I used to step on my cat/s, until I found a way to avoid this kind of situations as ( much as possible ). Good thing I am a petite kind of lady. There are ways that we can minimize or even avoid this similar accidents in the future.

Let us know what is the update. Positive vibes coming your way. :vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is eating/drinking/using the litter box, that is all good signs. No limping, no more screaming that is good. You might observe her and plan on taking her in at the first sign of things worsening instead of improving. Signs are hiding, getting lethargic (not moving much, droopy) no bowel movements, vomiting, and extreme distress. When you can pet her next time, gently prod and see if you can find a sore spot to pinpoint where she is hurting. Her aggressive behavior is normal, she was hurting and didn't want you near. Keep the dogs away from her, she is still hurting and may attack. Hopefully, she is just bruised. Cats are very tough, I have seen horrific injuries and they have come back......Keep a close eye on her, all the luck!

Christo23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will let you guys know the outcome. Thank you all so much for the time and support.
If anyone is the praying type, her name is Socks and it would be most appreciated if you kept her in your prayers. She is family 100%, have had her since she was abandoned by her mama as a tiny kitten. Like a daughter to me.
Ive been beating myself up non stop. She seems ok, just hurting. She is eating ok and drinking. Sleeping a whole lot. I just can't stop thinking about her... Curse this covid. I wish I could do more but Im giving her lots of love even if she doesnt want some of it.
Thank you all again, means more than you'll ever know. I Havent been able to sleep at all. I keep checking on her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I have unintentionally hurt my cats too, I know you would never be intentional, you love her too much. Sleeping is a way to cope with pain and to heal. The next step is to make sure she is pooping and peeing ok. the first 24 hours are the most critical, I really think she would have gone downhill by now if she was bleeding inside. Just keep a really close eye on her the next 24. Quitting eating is a very good sign that things are NOT as they should be. She will be very sore the next week so she will not move as much and sleep. Watch for swelling, limping, and not eating.
Dear Lord, please help little Socks heal. She is so very loved. Amen.....

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As everyone else, I also think vet checkup is necessary. However, if she is eating and pooping, her intestines are probably not damaged or tangled, which is one thing that easily happens during a blow. Her ear twitching during sleep means she is seeing a bad dream, which is normal after having a traumatic day. If she doesn't display neurological / behavior issues, doesn't vomit, is moving and the poop looks fine, there's a good chance that the worst of it will be just stress. I've stepped few times on my cat's paw, not full body drop, but still he screamed and I thought for sure I broke something - turned out nothing. Now I walk around like a zombie. My friend also had a cat who injured his back - the bone, when they took the cat to the vet and the injury was visible, the vet said that this types of injuries go away on its own. Apparently, cats are magical. And it did go away on its own. So, checking is necessary, but there is a good chance that she'll be ok.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I will let you guys know the outcome. Thank you all so much for the time and support.
If anyone is the praying type, her name is Socks and it would be most appreciated if you kept her in your prayers. She is family 100%, have had her since she was abandoned by her mama as a tiny kitten. Like a daughter to me.
Ive been beating myself up non stop. She seems ok, just hurting. She is eating ok and drinking. Sleeping a whole lot. I just can't stop thinking about her... Curse this covid. I wish I could do more but Im giving her lots of love even if she doesnt want some of it.
Thank you all again, means more than you'll ever know. I Havent been able to sleep at all. I keep checking on her.
🙏🙏🙏🙏

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Positive thoughts. Socks will be fine. Do not worry too much. Just look for any troubling signs as what was mentioned above by others here. You also have to take care of yourself.

We are all praying.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! We have all accidentally stepped on or bumped into kitties. They have a way of winding around our feet that puts them right in our path. We are all holding out hope, good wishes, healing vibes and I am saying prayers for Socks as well! :vibes::purr::redheartpump: Sending healing purrs! There have been some scientific studies done that indicate purrs can help with healing , both us and them! We all send purrs!