stella & chewy - complete diet?

kitsune85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
anyone feeding their cats their freeze dried food? bought a pack and my cat is loving it, no problems so far. i noticed that he is eating his dry food less (petcurean now fresh) and prefer stellas since he started eating it.

is it a complete meal to replace dry food? the package says "dinner" so i assume it's more of a meal supplement.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

Yes, freeze dried raw is a complete food. The only exceptions are freeze dried treats like Purebites ;)

There should be feeding guidelines on the pack. If not, there's a food calculator on this page. Freeze dried food is designed to be fed wet, especially if feeding it as a meal. You need to add water to rehydrate it ;) This is more important if you're feeding it as a meal. I know of people here who feed mostly wet/raw food and use unrehydrated freeze dried as a kibble substitute for snacking - especially with raw-fed kittens.

Do keep in mind that it IS raw food, and needs to be treated with the same respect as any other raw meat product. [article="31673"][/article][article="31714"][/article]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitsune85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks! yeah i figured it is a meal on its own, but the branding of it confuses me with the word "cat dinners".

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Stella and Chewy's freeze dried foods are complete diets.
The only exceptions are freeze dried treats like Purebites

And products like Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Mixers and Minis which are freeze dried raw but do not contain any vitamins and minerals.

Rule of thumb: if there are no vitamins and minerals listed in the ingredients list and you can't find a teen tiny AAFCO statement on the label  that says if the food is a complete diet or just a supplement / treat, err on the side of caution and feed the food as a treat.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I use Stella Chewy Tummy Ticklin' Turkey for our cat at dinner and he loves it!  He also likes Primal freeze dried raw which is similar to the S&C.  I don't feed it exclusively because of the cost but he gobbles up the freeze dried raw in an instant. 

Last edited:

cat dad72

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just picked up six bags of this @ chow hound they have it on sale for almost half price. My cats are loving it

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are complete, but make sure you are rehydrating it. Do not feed it dry.