Static electricity

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy has a difficult time with that too. I usually wet my hands a little and pet him, which is only temporary but helps a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Touch water, that gets rid of it. By the way, she's gorgeous.
Thank you! Of course I’m not biased or anything, but I do think she’s adorable also. She has very soft silky fur and that’s why she gets static. It doesn’t seem to happen to my other kitten Lucca because he has a dense undercoat?

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Of course I’m not biased or anything, but I do think she’s adorable also. She has very soft silky fur and that’s why she gets static. It doesn’t seem to happen to my other kitten Lucca because he has a dense undercoat?
She is indeed, I like her facial/bone structure. I think it's due to the length of hair and also their habits.. Mine is long haired and rolls around on the carpet a lot as well as has a fluffy blanket she cuddles on a lot so she's constantly static-y. I think theoretically at least, the more surface area, the more electric build up .. is how I imagine it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
She is indeed, I like her facial/bone structure. I think it's due to the length of hair and also their habits.. Mine is long haired and rolls around on the carpet a lot as well as has a fluffy blanket she cuddles on a lot so she's constantly static-y. I think theoretically at least, the more surface area, the more electric build up .. is how I imagine it
Yes she loves to roll around in front of me because she’s happy! I never thought of that but I have some good suggestions I’m going to try.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put some (unscented) lotion or hand cream on before you pet her, let it absorb, and then pet her. If your hands are less dry it should be enough to avoid it

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading this I might be doing things wrong ... but a couple of my girls get dry and staticky and this is what I've been doing....I take the tiniest amount of olive oil and rub it all over my hands and then massage them / pet them thoroughly with it (through their fur). It seems to help and they don't mind the extra pets.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grounding yourself while petting your cat helps. I have both a built-in humidifier and a portable unit and together they still can't take care of the sparking from the kitties. I have telephones near locations where cat cuddles take place, and I make sure to touch the dial stop (which is grounded) occasionally. Yes, I'm a Luddite, having only rotary phones, but there should be a ground nearby that you can touch (an appliance or something--even the screw in the middle of the outlet plate).

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dunno if this helps or not but, when I comb Theodore every day, I use a small spritz bottle with a drop of conditioner in it filled with water. As I comb him this time of year, he gets charged up with static. The spritz stops the clinging. Aslo, keep the comb clean of built up fur because it also will charge the fur up more. I got this tip from the breeder I got Oliver from.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are walking on rugs or carpets with nylon in them and wearing jogger shoes with plastic soles you will be building up static and shocking the cat. Bare feet will stop it. Same if walking on wooden floor with a polyurethane coating on them, you turn yourself into a static electricity battery.
Spent 10 years of my life in one job solving static electricity problems and weirdest things can happen.