Static Electrcity

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired Tortoise shell female cat and in the winter, she has really bad static electricity in her fur. Would it hurt to put a tiny bit of my hair conditioner on her fur and comb it through?

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you know for a fact that all of the ingredients in your conditioner are safe for cats, it's not a good idea to use even a little bit on your girl. She's going to lick and ingest it. There are coat conditioners for cats and dogs, so there really isn't a need for human hair conditioners, anyway. A product with good reviews at amazon is called Bodhi Dog Moisturizing Conditioner (Bodhi Dog is the brand name). To use it, just spray a bit on your finger tips and run your finger tips through your cat's coat. In a pinch, just dampening your girl's coat with water will make a difference.

There are also ionizing brushes such as this one made by Lentek. They work by circulating ionized air through your cat's hair which neutralizes any charge that has built up.

Another option is to treat your house instead of your cat. Check out room humidifiers and ionizers and see if this might be a practical solution for your home.

Finally, here are a few threads from our site that discuss the problem of "sparky cats". There are a lot of good tips in them for reducing static electricity.

Static Electricity and Cats
static electricity and cat's reaction
Static shock while petting cat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

coldwetnoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and your advice. I would like to see a list of ingredients for the Bodhi product you suggested. I have been researching a lot of products and I see nothing that I want to use on my cat. I will not buy anything with ingredients that I don't understand or cannot pronounce. I don't understand why they can't make a natural product with all ingredients known to be harmless. Maybe for preservation?? Shelf life?
So far, I have only used kitty wipes to calm down the static electricity so I may just keep on doing that. Or maybe get some Bodhi conditioner and dilute it. Thanks for the links.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Wen Cleansing Conditioner for Pets for this very thing. A little rubbed between my hands and then a quick swipe along Atticus and Thirteen's body each morning keeps the static at bay. I do it again before bed, right after I brush their teeth. I use Wen too and have pretty long hair for a guy and my hair is colored treated. That's me in my avatar with my daughter. I LOVE the stuff!

Before I discovered Wen for Pets Atticus and Thirteen would spark at night! If they stood up to stretch you would see little sparks in the dark from their static electricity. A humidifier and Wen has stopped that completely.

WEN by Chaz Dean 32 oz Pets Cleansing Conditioner & Treatment Mist — QVC.com

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your reply and your advice. I would like to see a list of ingredients for the Bodhi product you suggested. I have been researching a lot of products and I see nothing that I want to use on my cat. I will not buy anything with ingredients that I don't understand or cannot pronounce. I don't understand why they can't make a natural product with all ingredients known to be harmless. Maybe for preservation?? Shelf life?
So far, I have only used kitty wipes to calm down the static electricity so I may just keep on doing that. Or maybe get some Bodhi conditioner and dilute it. Thanks for the links.
You make a good point about the ingredients in the pet coat conditioner. :thumbsup: Just because a product is approved for use on pets, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's free of ingredients that are questionable. That issue exists in all sorts of products for humans as well as pets. :sigh:

In one of those TCS thread to which I linked, olive oil was recommended. If the pet wipes you are using don't always eliminate the spark, maybe that's worth a try. At least you know that olive oil is safe.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about not using things you don't understand or can't pronounce. Most times on ingredient lists they list the chemical names of things. Like on cleaning products they list Sodium bicarbonate. But that's more commonly known as baking soda. Or a lot of soft drinks and foods list the ingredient phenylalanine. I can't really pronounce that, but I know it to be another name for Aspartame, more commonly known as artificial sweetener Equal and NutraSweet.

Don't be afraid of big words just because you don't understand them.