Startled farts

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 8 month old “buff” female kitten who seems to pass gas at least 90% of the time when we pick her up or startle her. And they are super smelly.

is this normal?

her feces are like soft serve. And have been like that since we’ve gotten her oct 22nd. We’ve gotten her and her brothers poop tested. Both came back negative and we know that the tests aren’t 100% on knowing if they have hidden parasites. So we are treating them with medicine from the vet. They’ve suggested trying this first and then after the second pill if it’s not improved, we’ll try a food change. We have 7 cats total and nobody else seems to have problems with our food choice. Of course that doesn’t mean the two new kittens aren’t allergic of have sensitive tummies. I currently feed them Nutro Adult food and Nutro kitten food. vet said there’s a possibility it’s because they’re eating two different foods. so we have stopped mixing them.

but my main question is the farts 🙊🙈 her brother doesn’t fart but has the same poop issues.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As Furballsmom Furballsmom has mentioned some cats get gassy on certain foods, and others have soft stools but without farting. However, the loose stool can also be from bacterial/viral conditions and unless you have a full fecal PCR done, a regular fecal smear or float test won't identify most of those issues. A smear might indicate a bacterial issue, but won't go further than that.

Some on this site are die-hard against dry food, and will suggest to you that dry food is the issue, but I would be wanting to rule out other factors first.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine would pass gas when picked up or otherwise squeezed gently (Yes, cat farts will peel paint). This was shortly after he came to live with me. No soft stool issues, though, and it resolved by itself fairly quickly. I just attributed it to the change in diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of mine would pass gas when picked up or otherwise squeezed gently (Yes, cat farts will peel paint). This was shortly after he came to live with me. No soft stool issues, though, and it resolved by itself fairly quickly. I just attributed it to the change in diet.
That’s what she does, and omg 🙈 she is itty bitty and blows me away. Fiancé and I make jokes all the time. I’m hoping it’s not a parasite because I don’t want to have to treat everyone all over again 😫

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Srwheeler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2 had soft stools and probiotics from the vet firmed them up I would ask your vet if that could help. They are beautiful .
Vet did mention the probiotics. But they said to hold off on messing with their diet to see if the worm medicine makes a difference. One thing at a time.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Dry food is high in carbohydrates. Cats are carnivores- they cannot properly digest carbs, it just ends up causing smelly and bulky poo, and in some cats it will cause gas. My advice is to decrease the kibble and increase wet food (slowly- over a period of weeks).

There shouldn’t be a problem with feeding more than one food. I wouldn’t stick to just one brand or protein, variety is good. But always introduce new foods slowly.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here... our cat's gas issue resolved itself as soon as I figured out (by dumb luck) that it was potato that was making her barf and pass really stinky gas. Others on the site have said their cats have had similar problems with potato; peas and other legumes have also been reported as causing problems. As A Azazel mentioned, cats aren't designed to eat foods like those -- as soon as we switched the cats over to very low-carb wet foods a couple months after adopting them, the gas problem went away.