Starting to feel guilty for having to cage my cat during remodel

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apartment is getting redone, paint, cabinets, carpet, etc next week. They say it will only take 3 days. I found a relative to take me but they already have a cat and insist he stay caged with me in the basement den since he has claws and they have all this fancy leather, plus upsetting two cats with a meet for 3 days is silly. I bought a huge dog cage but after putting his litter in there half the space is gone but its still comfortable. I keep telling myself its only three days. I never go on vacation and there are people that have to cage their animals in places alot less peaceful then this will be. Yet I still feel bad. I know he is going to cry pretty much nonstop, he may hear the vocal siamese cat above, little sleep will be gotten by all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I guess I have to keep reminding myself that over and over. Hope the feliway spray can ease him some, he will surely be confused and freaked out.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There is a way you can give your kitty extra space in the cage. Take a board or piece of plywood 12-20" wide (depends on the size of the cage). Cut it into triangles, attached chains and hooks to each corner, and hang it from the top of the cage about 10" down. If you put it in a corner above the litter box kitty can get up and down without landing in the litter, and there is still room for him to get into the litter box.

I'm thinking of something like this but you can make it yourself more cheaply and just put a towel or blanket on it since it will be temporary.

Other options would be to put a straight board across one end of the cage if you don't want to go to the trouble of cutting it. A hammock would also work if your kitty likes them (mine won't stay in a hammock for love nor money).

Good luck with the remodeling.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you take him to the vet have them trim his claws? If they trim his claws will they allow him to stay locked in the basement with you? Can you lock him to the room instead?

I only mean to TRIM the claws.. not declaw. When you trim them they are far less sharp... you can even ask if the vet tech will help you put Soft Paws on your kitty... so he can at least be outside of the cage??? Will they allow him out of the cage with Soft Paws? This will be strange for him as well but... better then a cage.

christine09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did the crate come with a divider panel? Instead of putting it in upright you could put it in horizontally, giving your kitty a shelf/second floor above the litter box. You would have to put at least a good throw rug or thick folded blanket on the panel so it would be comfortable, but I've done this before with kitties that have had to be isolated due to surgery or illness and it seems to have worked well. No matter what you do, at least it's only a few days and he will be in the same room with you.