starting raw

sevenplus1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I too want to start feeding homemade raw and I also want to start with a pre-mix to keep it simple. I'm thinking about using either TCfeline or EZcomplete. I understand that these pre-mixes are intended for boneless meat as they have the supplements and the ground organ meats already included. But what type of meat do I use? And where do I get it? I know many people use Hare Today and some use their local butchers or supermarkets. But I'm really clueless with this. Do I just buy 3 pounds of boneless chicken or turkey? Are there certain sodium levels to look out for, etc. I see on Hare Today's site that they have many boneless options; bison cubes, chicken thighs, ground meat, etc. 

I'm lost lol. 

Last edited by a moderator:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If I could piggy back on this thread because I too want to start feeding homemade raw and I also want to start with a pre-mix to keep it simple. I'm thinking about using either TCfeline or EZcomplete. I understand that these pre-mixes are intended for boneless meat as they have the supplements and the ground organ meats already included. But what type of meat do I use? And where do I get it? I know many people use Hare Today and some use their local butchers or supermarkets. But I'm really clueless with this. Do I just buy 3 pounds of boneless chicken or turkey? Are there certain sodium levels to look out for, etc. I see on Hare Today's site that they have many boneless options; bison cubes, chicken thighs, ground meat, etc. 

I'm lost lol. 
I use EZcomplete for cooked food and buy all the meat at the grocery store. I'd probably shop differently if I were making raw food but, in theory, yes, you can use any kind of boneless meat. I tend to mix things up in each batch, usually with some combination of various cuts of pork and chicken. Our cats seem to prefer chicken breasts over thighs but like cheaper cuts of pork. They're not wild about turkey; they prefer tenderloin to thighs. (Ah, cats!( Texture is also important: they much prefer long shreds of hand-pulled meat, probably because it's so much more labor intensive for me than anything chopped, ground, or sliced with a knife. I realize you'll be doing things differently with raw meat but your cats may have preferences for certain types and textures of meat, too.

The EZcomplete site has information about sodium content. I only buy meat that's pure meat, with nothing added.

Good luck! I know that clueless feeling when you start making food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If I could piggy back on this thread because I too want to start feeding homemade raw and I also want to start with a pre-mix to keep it simple. I'm thinking about using either TCfeline or EZcomplete. I understand that these pre-mixes are intended for boneless meat as they have the supplements and the ground organ meats already included. But what type of meat do I use? And where do I get it? I know many people use Hare Today and some use their local butchers or supermarkets. But I'm really clueless with this. Do I just buy 3 pounds of boneless chicken or turkey? Are there certain sodium levels to look out for, etc. I see on Hare Today's site that they have many boneless options; bison cubes, chicken thighs, ground meat, etc. 

I'm lost lol. 
Independent pet stores often have chubs of raw meat in various proteins for pet food use. You can use these. Some chubs are meat with bone and organs and others are boneless organ less meat so be sure to buy the correct type for the pre-mix you are using. Chubs are typically 2 lbs and 5 lbs in size.

Supermarket or butcher shop meat is just fine. Just be sure to buy only whole cuts of meat, never ground, and that the meat has not been "enhanced" with broth or flarvorings or anything. A butcher shop would be more likely to get certain meats for you, say rabbit or vension,  then a regular supermarket.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I use EZcomplete for cooked food and buy all the meat at the grocery store. I'd probably shop differently if I were making raw food but, in theory, yes, you can use any kind of boneless meat. I tend to mix things up in each batch, usually with some combination of various cuts of pork and chicken. Our cats seem to prefer chicken breasts over thighs but like cheaper cuts of pork. They're not wild about turkey; they prefer tenderloin to thighs. (Ah, cats!( Texture is also important: they much prefer long shreds of hand-pulled meat, probably because it's so much more labor intensive for me than anything chopped, ground, or sliced with a knife. I realize you'll be doing things differently with raw meat but your cats may have preferences for certain types and textures of meat, too.

The EZcomplete site has information about sodium content. I only buy meat that's pure meat, with nothing added.

Good luck! I know that clueless feeling when you start making food.
@LisaHE   Sorry for the hijacking of the thread, but can you please tell me how you are able to cook the meat that you are using for EZ Complete?  I have EZ Complete coming soon, and was wondering how to prepare chicken so that it could be in shreds? (i.e. Slow Cooker, or Pressure Cooker?) 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@LisaHE   Sorry for the hijacking of the thread, but can you please tell me how you are able to cook the meat that you are using for EZ Complete?  I have EZ Complete coming soon, and was wondering how to prepare chicken so that it could be in shreds? (i.e. Slow Cooker, or Pressure Cooker?) 
I cook it in a toaster oven! I use a glass dish, covered with foil. I usually cook 6 ounces of meat with about 1/4 cup of water; I cook it at around 325-350 for 20-30 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pieces of meat and if they're fully defrosted.  Mix everything up in the same glass dish: I leave the cooking liquid in it, scrape up the gunk that's settled, put in the shreds, and add the supplement. Sometimes I add a little more water.

I hope your cats like EZcomplete as much as ours do!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sevenplus1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. You'd think it was rocket science when its actually just cat food but still I'm finding moving past commercial raw to be daunting. 
 Some chubs are meat with bone and organs and others are boneless organ less meat so be sure to buy the correct type for the pre-mix you are using. Chubs are typically 2 lbs and 5 lbs in size
I've actually seen these. Now I know what they are for. I'm thinking of doing this to start. A chub of boneless, organ-less meat mixed with the pre-mix. That sounds simple enough for me to get my "feet wet" so to speak. 
 Supermarket or butcher shop meat is just fine. Just be sure to buy only whole cuts of meat, never ground, and that the meat has not been "enhanced" with broth or flarvorings or anything. A butcher shop would be more likely to get certain meats for you, say rabbit or vension,  then a regular supermarket.
Do these meats need to be ground in the grinding machine? (I don't have one.) Or do you just cut the meat into smaller pieces?

As I said, I'm clueless. Is there a "Raw food for dummies" video floating somewhere on the internet? lol Its just that I've read horror stories regarding cats and food and the last thing I want to do is harm my little furry friend. With my past cats I knew nothing about the cat community and I just fed them a mix of dry food and Fancy Feast. Sadly, I've never had a cat last past 11 years (they keep dying at 10). Very sad. 

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do these meats need to be ground in the grinding machine? (I don't have one.) Or do you just cut the meat into smaller pieces?
I don't have a grinder either, so I just cut it with regular kitchen scissors, since i find it easier then using a knife. Also having the meat slightly frozen helps with cutting it. 

If you have a food processor, that might work as well.

It depends a lot on your cat's preferences, some kitties prefer ground meat since it's much closer to cat food in terms of texture. You can always start with a chub of ground meat from pet store/Hare Today and then transition your cat to eating pieces, and even big chunks. 

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, don't let the supermarket grind the meat for you. You have no idea how clean the store grinders are. Just chop the meat at home into cat sized easy to eat bites. Its easy to do, just becareful with handling a sharp knife.

I buy chubs from the pet store. Depending in the pet store I go to and what is available, I buy Hare Today (no idea why my local store sells HT. I am not aware of any other store that sells HT), Blue Rige, and Bravo (either the Boneless or Basics). I don't think I've ever tried the Primal Pet frozen grinds.

Using a pre-mix is one of the easiest ways to feed your cat a raw diet
Mix the meat with the recommended amounts of pre-mix and water, stir to combine, and then portion out into serving sizes.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A food processor can work to chop up meat into various consistencies, too: I've used ours but our cats much prefer shreds!

Also, if you do buy chubs, be sure to check the ingredients because some contain bone and others do not. (Some, I think it's Bravo's, even contain vegetables.)