Starting Prozac Tomorrow As A Last Resort. Need Advice Pls?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I am so sorry to hear it's not going well!! My heart breaks for all of you! Have you thought about trying getting it compounded into a topical to rub into their ears once a day?
I asked the receptionist at the vet’s office about that, she never heard of it :-(. I’ll see if the empty #5 capsules work...if not, I will move on to Plan C.
((((((Sigh)))))))

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a compound, so it won't be available at their office. However, your vet should hopefully be familiar with compounds. What dose are you currently using the liquid and/or tabs? I can help you figure out what to ask your vet for if you'd like. Are you in the US? If so, what state are you in?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any advice, just wanted to jump in and say I entirely understand how stressful this can be. I’ve been through a tough integration myself, and it alternatively makes you want to cry and scream. It is very hard on the humans.

I also understand the difficulty of giving medicine, we are using liquid meds on two cats right now. One takes it like a champ and the other is like a bucking bronco. We have to have two people and a gameplan before we can attempt it. I hold his but firmly and the BF tries to aim it in his mouth without jabbing an eyeball. Overtime it got easier in that my BF got better at knowing when to squirt, but it’s rough. Those stupid “how to medicate your cat videos” never show a troublemaker.

Try and give yourself some you time, something you can get away from that cats for a bit and decompress. It will really help you keep perspective.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a compound, so it won't be available at their office. However, your vet should hopefully be familiar with compounds. What dose are you currently using the liquid and/or tabs? I can help you figure out what to ask your vet for if you'd like. Are you in the US? If so, what state are you in?
I am in New York. The liquid dosage is .25 cc. once daily. The pills are 10 mg, and the dosage is 5 mg. once daily. Thank you for your help.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they are each getting 5mg total per day, then ask your vet for this:

Fluoxetine 20mg/ml cream
Apply 0.25ml (5mg) to the ear once daily

Hopefully your vet already knows of a local compounding pharmacy that she can give you the contact info for. If he/she does not, send me a direct message. My pharmacy can ship to NY so if she is willing to fax it to me at my pharmacy we should be able to fill it for you at least this first time so you can get started with it while you find one closer to you.

It may seem like a hassle to get, but it has been a game changer for us. It takes two people to hold our boy down at the vet, there is no way we could get him his prozac orally. The cream is the only way we could do it.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are each getting 5mg total per day, then ask your vet for this:

Fluoxetine 20mg/ml cream
Apply 0.25ml (5mg) to the ear once daily

Hopefully your vet already knows of a local compounding pharmacy that she can give you the contact info for. If he/she does not, send me a direct message. My pharmacy can ship to NY so if she is willing to fax it to me at my pharmacy we should be able to fill it for you at least this first time so you can get started with it while you find one closer to you.

It may seem like a hassle to get, but it has been a game changer for us. It takes two people to hold our boy down at the vet, there is no way we could get him his prozac orally. The cream is the only way we could do it.
I will definitely ask him about this!! Thank you! Did you have aggression issues as well? I’m praying this works. My three bullies want to kill my other cat. Literally.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, for sure! He still sometimes takes it too far, but it's MUCH better than it used to be. They still don't get along well, but now it's mostly from the end of my other one just not wanting him around her (he's been up her ass recently.. I think since she's been sick he's been concerned and just seems to always want to be near her).
I will say, he never was at the point that it sounds like your 3 are, so I can't guarantee that it will help enough in your situation, but it might.

Also, I did go back and do some reading online and did find some articles on Buspar sometimes being used on the BULLIED cat to help boost their confidence in these situations. I have no first hand experience with it or anything, but maybe you can ask your vet if they've used it before or have seen any studies on that?

Keep me posted!

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, for sure! He still sometimes takes it too far, but it's MUCH better than it used to be. They still don't get along well, but now it's mostly from the end of my other one just not wanting him around her (he's been up her ass recently.. I think since she's been sick he's been concerned and just seems to always want to be near her).
I will say, he never was at the point that it sounds like your 3 are, so I can't guarantee that it will help enough in your situation, but it might.

Also, I did go back and do some reading online and did find some articles on Buspar sometimes being used on the BULLIED cat to help boost their confidence in these situations. I have no first hand experience with it or anything, but maybe you can ask your vet if they've used it before or have seen any studies on that?

Keep me posted!
Thank you so much. I just found out they sell it on 1800PetMeds. I’m going to see if I can trick the cats with the empty capsules and if that doesn’t work I will ask my vet to prescribe the cream from PetMeds. I’ve heard about Buspar. I’ll ask about that, too. I have 5 cats. Only ONE doesn’t have a mental disorder. :-)
Thanks again. I’ll update this in about a month or so. You gave me HOPE!!
~patti

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good luck!! I will be waiting to see how it goes!! It's obvious you are trying to so so so hard to make a safe and happy home for all of these babies and I really hope that you are able to finally catch a break and they can start to get along. I feel like people who would try as hard as you are few and far between and I genuinely hope that all of your efforts pay off, for all of your sakes'. I really admire your resilience through all of this so far!

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.. Hopefully they will all be fine and I’m not on Prozac:-)

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I agree with your veterinarian. The victim is not the problem, but it likely would not hurt to give her a dose as well .
Good luck ...:hellocomputer:

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ I agree with your veterinarian. The victim is not the problem, but it likely would not hurt to give her a dose as well .
Good luck ...:hellocomputer:
Do you think I should give my victim cat Buspar?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ If kitty is stressed from the other cats I would. You can also try Zylkene . I have a few cats on both Zoloft and Zylkene.
I read that Zylkene is for temporary stress, such as vet visits, car rides, etc. I’m hoping once this fluoxetine gets regulated in their systems, they will at least tolerate the other cat.
This is so ridiculous to me, having 4 cats on medication for personality disorders. I’ve had multiple cats co-exist peacefully my entire life. This is crazy!
I will have to bring my timid cat back to the vet to get a Rx for Buspar and a consultation.
Thank you for your help.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
this may sound crazy but when I started to having to pill one of my cats, I tried everything, and I mean everything. (I could not use a pill gun on him, he would rip my face off) I don't know what size prozac pills are, but my cat takes buspirone, and it is a tiny pill. I tried putting it in everything, he always found it. then I read about wrapping it in very finely cut salami or proscioutto. a very tiny bit, but has to be finely cut so it stays on the pill. works every monring. good luck.

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I stuff the half pills inside #5 capsules and there was no resistance tonight. I also sprinkled bonito flakes on top of their food. All three cats got their proper dosage. A huge thank you to whomever suggested that!!! It worked.