Started Grim on Raw!! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But the meat is ground..... He wouldn't have the benefits of tearing the meat apart....
Of course. The benefits would be no where close to the action of tearing meat.
But the difference between licking up smooshed meat and sinking your teeth into a semi-hard medallion is huge.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The raw I feed, Nature's Variety, comes in medallions. If I give Grim a whole medallion, he has to chow down on it in order to get bites of it. There's no way to lick any of it off. However, it I smooshed it down with a spoon, he would be able to lick it up and get no oral health benefits from it.
Oh, I gotcha.  So, you are not adding in any digestive enzymes, or probiotics or water to those nuggets, huh?  (retorical question
)   Since I add those to mine, I have to break apart the nuggets anyway to mix them in,, plus I add a little water because they just seem so dry (but I'm not feeding NV, I'm feeding Primal nuggets)   But for my Radcat eater, it's already in a juicy plop, so there is definitely no need to chew

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, I gotcha.  So, you are not adding in any digestive enzymes, or probiotics or water to those nuggets, huh?  (retorical question
)   Since I add those to mine, I have to break apart the nuggets anyway to mix them in,, plus I add a little water because they just seem so dry (but I'm not feeding NV, I'm feeding Primal nuggets)   But for my Radcat eater, it's already in a juicy plop, so there is definitely no need to chew
I had to do the same thing to add in the probiotics and stuff. I agree, NV seemed very dry and Primal a bit too.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update on warming up the NV: I found the best way was to take a cup, fill it up a couple inches with water, microwave and then dunk meat in-baggie for a couple minutes. Works really well and doesn't waste very much water! :)

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding 8 cats, I dethaw 12 ounces at a time. I MUCH prefer putting the baggie in a bowl of cool water. Takes longer, but for larger amounts, it's much safer than using warm water. :)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops!! I didn't mean defrosting, I meant warming up! (I fixed it in my post)
I defrost in the fridge, I put it in either the day before or when I get up so it'll be ready by 6pm. But Grim doesn't like cold medallions. He always looks up at me sadly when I give him one. So I was trying to figure out a way to get them to room temperature and that's what the hot water is for.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grim is very spoiled... >__>
:lol3:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of mine like cold - they all like their food warm.....
Minka - how much are you feeding Grim? I am going through your threads but I can't find it..... Trying to figure out if your boy is just hungry or what?

Can you let us know how did he eat before he started row - how much of what? Free fed/on schedule?
Since when is he on schedule?

How much is he eating now?
He is roughly 13lbs, right?

:hugs: :wavey:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooooo Congratulations and welcome to the raw camps! :D :clap::clap::clap: I also use the baggies for all of my medallions. I usually put two ounces - two medallions - in a bag. It thaws overnight in the fridge. Then before I serve, I just smoosh them in the baggie under some warm running water. My cat's do love their meat served cool. I don't know why they do, but that is how they seem to enjoy it. :lol3: Sounds like Grim LOVES his new raw food!! :bigthumb: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - I responded about his diet on my vet visit thread to keep it simple.